I have a link 20 that has always (while I was on shore powere anyway
) behaved OK with nothing happening to disturb me. I have just moved to a swing mooring (no shore power) and suddenly funny things are happening.
To complicate matters, I have also changed my start battery bank in terms of size and number of batteries. So I have 2 variables
The problem is that when I return to the boat after a week of not being there, the start bank indicator shows a single red flashing lamp, indication that the battery has zip usable power. The first time I saw that I got a bit of a fright.
I checked the used amp hours and it showed me that at least twice the amp hours that the battery bank has
had been consumed, i.e. the bank is good for about 220ah and the Link 20 was reporting 460 amp hours consumed. Straight away I get suspicious and here's the really confusing thing.
When I went to start the main engine, it started on that bank
with the first touch on the key!! I checked my windlass which has a pair of charge lines connected to this bank, meaning that it shoud have been flat too and it was as juicy as.
So I disconnected the leads from the battery positive to check for any sign of a spark (everything switched off) and there was no spark, not even a tiny one. Did the same with the windlass battery, nix. So no apparent leaks.
Then I zeroed the amp hours on the Link 20 and all the green lights came on. I started the main engine and checked the ammeter that monitors the big-frame alt and it was only putting out 20 amps and quickly fell to nothing. This tells my untrained brain that the batteries are pretty well charged. The Link 20 indicator lights never changed for the whole weekend (stayed 4 green) and everything seemed normal.
I went back this morning, a week later - red light flashing!!