SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Outlet issue (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/59357-outlet-issue.html)

dch 10-29-2009 01:47 PM

Outlet issue

I really do not know much about the electrical aspects of my boat. My issue is that when I unplug from the dock, the outlets no longer work. Everything else electrically works. I don't really need the outlets very often away from the dock, but when I want to use them, it would be nice if they worked. I know it is something simple that is not connected but I just cannot find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

timebandit 10-29-2009 02:22 PM

The outlet power comes from the dock and when you unplug from the dock you loose the power to the outlets.

SecondWindNC 10-29-2009 02:53 PM

To elaborate on that a little bit, most of the electric devices on the boat operate on 12V DC power and can thus draw their power from the batteries even when you're not at the dock. (As long as there's some juice in the batteries!)

But the outlets are 110V AC and will only operate when you're hooked up to shorepower. (Or have a boat with a more complicated electrical system with an inverter and/or generator.)

What are you trying to power with the outlets when you're away from the dock? If it's something small like a fan or radio, you might be able to find a 12V DC version that you can use when underway.

Waltthesalt 10-29-2009 05:11 PM

There are devices called inverters which convert you're boats DC to AC. The low power ones, good for running radios, computers, cell chargers and low draw loads like that are straightforward and plug into the cigarette lighter type DC outles most boats have. If you want to run something that takes serious amps like a toaster, electric drill, hair dryer you'll need a much larger inverter that requires lotsa' DC amps and pretty heavy duty wiring. It's also a big battery load. Keep in mind that AC is 120v while DC is 12V so DC amps will be 10 times the AC amps. If you AC devise says it draws 5 amps AC that's 50 Amps DC. Good luck

xort 10-29-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dch (Post 536588)
I really do not know much about the electrical aspects of my boat. My issue is that when I unplug from the dock, the outlets no longer work. Everything else electrically works. I don't really need the outlets very often away from the dock, but when I want to use them, it would be nice if they worked. I know it is something simple that is not connected but I just cannot find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Why do you think you plug INTO the dock in the first place? :confused:

May I suggest you purchase Nigel Calder's book:

Amazon.com: Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems (9780071432382): Nigel Calder: Books

tdw 10-29-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dch (Post 536588)

Thanks,
David

Step one....check calendar....nope it' not April 1st.

Once there was a time when such a post would have resulted in the poster being torn limb from limb and their lifeless bloody pulped remains hung from a yard arm as a warning to others.

Perhaps it is a good thing that we live in a kinder, more gentle age but I must admit that sometimes I have my doubts. (edited ...so that it makes sense)

That said, and working on the premise that the OP is not simply a brain dead moron might I ask how long the problem has been going on ?

If the answer to the above is 'ever since I bought the boat' then you'll find me in the bar getting very drunk indeed while mutterin' unprintable thoughts about my fellow man and whether or not coming down from the trees in the first place was really such a good idea. (refer Douglas Adams, THGTTG.)

If , on the other hand , this is a recent problem then either your inverter has gone to god or you need to switch it on.

ps - Xort's advice is good....buy the book.

bubb2 10-29-2009 07:21 PM

I think the op should post his question over at stuffers. It would be a week and 38 posts before he got the correct anwser.

xort 10-29-2009 07:32 PM

I'm more baffled than when I first read the OP.

DCH posted he bought a Beneteau 36 back in 2003. And he's just now learning what shore power is?

Please tell us your first post was a mistatement of the facts

NautiG 10-29-2009 07:49 PM

Ah, a kinder gentler sailnet. I love it!

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

negrini 10-29-2009 08:20 PM

TDW, very careful use of words and poetic, but you almost crossed the bar. The fix is so clear and simple. Just plug it back when you need the outlets. If, for any reason, your cable doesn't reach the dock power, use either an extension or your engine to manouver your boat in a way to position it at reach. For a more complete fix, just add tips above .....