Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-08-2009

seattleclimber is on a distinguished road
Battery Load Tester

I was wondering if anyone uses a battery load tester when conducting routine battery maintenance checks or when troubleshooting electrical problems (to rule out a bad battery). I understand the importance of checking the specific gravity of a lead acid battery, and checking the open circuit voltage for all types. Yet, everything I read says that a load test is the best method for checking that a battery is good. Plus you can't check the specific gravity on gels or AGMs. Is a battery load tester a good purchase or is a multimeter and a manual load test (using the engine starter motor or some other device) the best way?

If a load tester is a good option, any recommendations on a quality one? Thanks.

Seattleclimber
San Diego, CA
'83 Catalina 36
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Many auto parts stores will have a load tester available for rental or loan. A proper load tester is a far better idea than trying to load test using the starter or some other makeshift device, as the results are going to be far more consistent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-08-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The "industry standard" for testing battery capacity these days is a sophisticated -- and pricey -- computerized device which measures internal resistance. The Micronics series are very popular, but they cost about $600 for a medium-range one.

I have used these for extensive battery tests over a couple of years, and they're pretty good if you use them right. But, they're not 100% accurate.

The best way to load-test a battery is to put a constant load on it calculated to be sufficient to deplete it fully in 20 hours, based on it's 20-hour rating. For example, for a 225AH battery bank such as two Trojan T-105's in series, you would use a load of just over 11 amps.

As well, it's good to put a little energy-monitoring device like a Watts Up in-line, to actually measure energy delivered (in watt-hours). That way, you can see how closely the battery's actual capacity compares to it's rated capacity.

Everything else is a "next-best".

Bill
Old 11-09-2009

osirissail is on a distinguished road
K.I.S.S. in the real world of cruising, some of these concerns are valid but of really not that critical. It is obvious by simple age (years) the basic status of your batteries. And then doing a simple "resting battery voltage" test will reveal if the batteries have reached the end of their lives. You fully charge the battery overnight and then disconnect all loads from the battery - take off a battery terminal cable and measure the voltage with a digital meter. Repeat the reading every hour for 5 hours or more and graph the results. The resting voltage will decrease from the charger voltage when disconnected down to a sort of steady voltage. Look at the resting battery voltage chart and you can get a good idea of the "life" left in the battery.
- - It is not "totally accurate" but accurate enough to tell you when it is time to get new batteries. The other half of the simple test is your batteries go flat when used - in half the time or less than they used to last.
Old 11-09-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Would that it were that simple. It isn't. Sorry, but resting voltage bears only incidental relationship to battery capacity.

Resting voltage indicates STATE OF CHARGE, not BATTERY CAPACITY. It's perfectly possible to have a battery "near the end of it's life" which shows a resting voltage of, say, 12.6-12.7 VDC, but which has had it's CAPACITY greatly reduced by....
  • sulfation of the plates
  • stratification
  • corrosion
  • contamination
  • mistreatment

Even a "new" off-the-shelf battery can have a greatly reduced capacity due to sulfation caused by leaving it too long under-charged. The voltages will look fine, but a true load test will reveal it's reduced capacity.

By the way, on a customer's boat just this afternoon I found a "new" 6V golf-cart battery which had a greatly reduced capacity. Age had nothing to do with it.

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 11-09-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2009

AlanP39Yawl is on a distinguished road
I bought a load tester from harbor freight for under $20. Seems to work fine, gets HOT. Similar to one at an APstore for $100. I'm sure ths $100 one will last longer but this one is fine for occasional use.
Old 11-09-2009

Yep, cheap load testers such as this one: - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

...can give some indication of battery capacity, but require interpretation, since deep-cycle batteries aren't designed to put out large amperages over long periods.

This tester puts a 50A load on the batteries. A similar one for $25 puts a 100-amp load on the batteries.

But, as indicated above, the only way to properly test a deep-cycle battery's 20-hour rating is with a load calculated to draw the battery down to 10.5 volts (depleted) in a 20-hour period.

You can build an inexpensive load tester, though. I built one consisting of eight switchable light sockets in which I put 12VDC bulbs of varying wattages. I can switch in those needed to put the proper load on a battery (bank) under test. Then, it's just a matter of waiting :-) And, of course, counting....I put a WattsUp meter in line to do the measurements for me.

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 11-09-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2009

osirissail is on a distinguished road
btrayfors - you are missing what I am saying. It is a fine and dandy to discuss the esoterics of sulfation of the plates; stratification; corrosion; contamination; mistreatment and all the other stuff while you are securely located in the USA or other major first world country. Good information - but for us out here anchored off little island countries with a battery salesman with a bone through his nose and a top-knot hairdo, all that stuff doesn't do much real-life good. The equipment does not exist to do esoteric tests on batteries.
- - So my post has to do with what is done in the "real world" outside of the techno-maniac first world. We have only our digital voltmeters and the knowledge that our batteries just are not up to what they used to be. So we use "simple" common sense ways of evaluating when it is time to replace the batteries. And it is just that simple - batteries don't hold a charge, resting voltages collapse too soon - we buy new T-105's or truck batteries from the local witch doctor. And if you happen to have a live chicken handy the price gets real low.
Old 11-09-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Osirissail, you obviously haven't ever read btrayfor's posts before. If you had, you would know that he is probably about to tell you how to do that fancy load test using a gum wrapper, a bottle top, and the ass end of 50 honey ants. And it'll work too!

Please support my
Old 11-09-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
FWIW...I use one all the time...its one of my favorite tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Load Tester-load-tester.jpg  

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.