Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-23-2009

alan_21_us is on a distinguished road
Battery selection

Hi - I have 2 12v and 4 6v batteries. The last owner installed it or he had someoned do It and I am not certain how it all fits together. In any case, I have 2 Deka deep cycle batteries group 27.

I will buy a load tester from Harbor Freight and test them out. I had some problems starting the boat after I was under sail. In the slip taking it off charge i had no problem, so I am thinking its the battery. I am testing as we speak.

I would push the starter button along with the glow plug and at times I had not response. After 4-5 pushes it would start. I would then recover from my heart attack and get back in.

What batteries do you recommend that I purchase? Flooded, AGM or Gel? Also any inputs into my starting problem would be appreciated.

ALan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
I would check the connections at the solenoid for corrosion. Your 6 volt batteries are hooked together in a combination of series and parallel. A good diagram of how it is done can be found in Nigel Calders electrical and mechanical systems book.
Old 11-23-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Not sure about your Pearson, but a lot of boats (Catalina being one) have the glow plugs wired through the instrument panel with fairly thin wires - of course old and corroded by now too. This means that the power to the glow plugs has to pass the instrument panel. The fix is to use a solenoid so the current doesn't have to pass through the instrument panel and wire the glow plugs with a larger gauge wire. Anyone who is in this position and has made this improvement has improved cold starting by a large margin.
You state that you had "no response". Do you mean the engine didn't turn over at all? If the connections are good the engine should turn over slowly at least, even if it doesn't start.
If it is the two Deka batteries I recommend replacing them with one good start battery -you don't need two and it shouldn't be deep cycle. I would stick to a flooded battery as your house bank is of this type and this way they will have the same charging requirements. Checking wire size and connections is a good idea as well as it may require upgrading.
Hope this helps.
Brian

Last edited by mitiempo; 11-23-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spell
Old 11-23-2009

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
Agree with the above. As for batteries I think that regular deep cycle lead acid are still the most cost effective. I'd invest in a battery monitor to help extend thier lives. Could also be that your charger has a low output compared to the bank AH capacity.
Old 11-23-2009

Walt
I agree that flooded lead acid are the most cost effective but he's got 4 6volt for house bank. For the start battery i wouldn't replace with a deep cycle. I 2nd a good battery monitor. Jamestown has the best deal on the Victron BMV-600 @ 195. Victron BMV 600 Battery Monitor
You don't know what info you're missing until you install one.
Brian
Old 11-23-2009
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
I have had almost identical problems with my 1980 Pearson 32. I thought the batteries had been fried by being hooked up to an ancient shore charger. I replaced the charger with something high tech and got new batteries.

Then the problem surfaced again.

The positive side is I have learned how to sail into my slip

I finally am focusing on the glow plug and starter push button switches. I have sprayed anti-corrosion electrical spray into them but they are fairly closed construction and I am guessing that the internal contacts are corroded, and will replace both of them this winter. It is a cheap fix, if it works.

I will post to this forum next Spring with a result
Old 11-23-2009

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
I think that 6V are mostly available as flooded lead acid deep cycle golf cart batteries. I assumed that they're two pairs in series for 12 v. Agree that deep cycle isn't needed for a starting battery and maybe not the best where cranking amps are the more critical consideration. Best there to go with the engine manufacturer's recommendations.
Old 11-23-2009

Pegasus
As I posted lots of older boats were sold with the glow plugs wired the wrong (read cheap) way. The fix with a solenoid and heavier wires makes a huge difference.

Alan
When the engine didn't start did it turn over, albeit slowly? This makes a big difference as to what the problem could be.
Brian
Old 11-23-2009

Walt
His problem is I believe with the two Deka group 27 batteries which are 12 volts each. His house bank is separate and composed of 4 6 volt deep cycle as I understand it.
Brian
Old 11-24-2009
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Pegasus
As I posted lots of older boats were sold with the glow plugs wired the wrong (read cheap) way. The fix with a solenoid and heavier wires makes a huge difference.

Brian
My problem is not glow plug-related. The engine doesn't even turn over. The solenoid doesn't even clunk when the problem is there. The only connection to glow plugs is that the control panel wiring is designed so that the starter button won't connect unless you are pushing on the glow plug push button at the same time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.