Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-28-2009

I33 is on a distinguished road
Prosine 2000 Inverter/Charger

Looking for an inverter/charger to go with our 900ah house bank. Any opinions on the Xantrex Prosine 2000? How noisy is it in operation?
Thanks.
Old 11-28-2009
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
The guy who installed my Raymarine radar/E120 and other electronics suggested the Magnum which is a 100amp charger/2000w prosine inverter. He recommended against the Xantrex, as there are rumors they've begun using cheaper components in the build process. That generally means lesser grade copper wiring, cheaper circuit boards, etc (which, for example, is why some laptops are a lot cheaper than Dell or HP). Take rumors for what they are, though. I will say that I've been very happy with my Magnum unit. Super quiet and I've never had any power issues running multiple items at once. eg; TV/DVD, Dell laptop, charging iPhone, etc.

My bank is 690ah house (qty 6, 6 volt wet cell) and a single 12v start. I use the Balmer digital duo to ensure proper charging between the house and start. I also installed the Xantrex Link 20, which is a piece of junk. I have to constantly disconnect it from the battery terminals to get it to function properly. I had installed that prior to the charger/inverter addition. My next project will be adding the Magnum battery monitor, which also gives remote on/off of the inverter. Will also be swapping my alternator for a Balmer high output.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2009
all these confusing ropes

dohenyboy is on a distinguished road
my view is that Xantrex has not updated their design for a long time. I prefer to use in your circumstances Iota chargers. If you have such a big bank (I assume that when you say you have 900 amp hour bank you are counting it correctly, that is, 900 ah would be 9 12v batteries each with 100 ah capacity, not 8 6v batteries with 112 ah each)
I would get two Iota 90 amp chargers and run them in parallel. You could get them for $400 each. They would charge you up pretty fast if you have a big generator or if you are on 50 amp shorepower. I like to have a separate inverter because if it breaks then the charger is still working okay. The combo units tend to break both sides.
Old 11-30-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
First of all, I am moving this thread into Gear/Maint where I feel you will get better responses.

I have the Prosine 2.0 Inv/Charger. I have been extremely pleased with it and will say that it is one of the best things I have put on my boat. It works great and no issues.

I will say that I would have purchased the Outback model versuis Xantrrex if it would have not been such a odd shape. But the Xantrex fit perfectly on the 400 (where we desired to mount it) so that was our strong preference.

I would look at the Iota and the Outback. THe Outback is probably more money (even more than Xantrex), but their products are top notch.

A few words of caution:

1) You better choose your locatio for the unit carefully. If you mount it very close to the battery bank, you can get away with 4/0 cabelling (not that is 0000, not 4 gauge). THis means that the cabeling is as large around as your thumb, or larger. It should be tinned, though many people do not buy tinned due to the cost. You probably will not be able to get this via a West Marine (and certainly not in the store). You will need to order from a manufacturer. I used Cobra cabelling and bought tinned, but to each his own. If you cannot make the loop (in 25 feet I think, that is 12 feet of cabelling), you have to jump up to 250 or 350 mcm cabelling which is huge. Just so you know, 4/0 is larger than the leads coming into your house from the power company.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/1300/docserve.aspx

2) You will have to measure carefully and purchase the 4/0 (or larger) lugs. You cannot crimp thoses except with a very specific crimping tool and you need to start looking around now for where to rent it or borrow it. West Marine stores used to have one you could use if you brought it in, but that requires very precise measurements and many of the stores do not carry the crimpers for that large of cabelling. DO not bother trying to use that hammer-crimper thing unless you have the arm of Paul Bunyan (and don't kid yourself, you don't!!). Get the right tool and do it right.

3) If you are not very good with electricity, do not put the thing in yourself. Get a GOOD MARINE electrician. Screwing up the wiring on your inverter is a great way to burn your boat to the waterline or just plain meet your maker in execution style.

4) I installed mine. If you have questions, PM me and I will see if I can help.

Good luck with your decision. I agree with Tom Neale, the inverter was in the top 5 of the best things we have put on our boat.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-30-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The Iota is a charger, not an inverter.

For an inverter/charger, I'd seriously consider the Victron Mult-Plus. Have had one for several years, and have installed others on customers boats. A friend has three on his large ketch. These cost a bit more, but their build quality is unexcelled and they are wonderful in operation. The MultiPlus functions as a 120A charger and a 3,000 watts true sine-wave inverter. It is fully programmable. See MultiPlus / 800VA - 5kVA - Victron Energy

Because of current problems with Xantrex, I would not consider an inverter/charger from them at this time. JMO.

Bill