Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-17-2010

hulagirla is on a distinguished road
Incandescent to LED

I am considering converting my incandescnt cabin lighting to LED. Anyone have any advice and where to find more info on this topic. I have found some info but would appreciate any input.
John Horner
s/v Hula Girl-Sabre 425
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Google it for lots of places to buy. For a good primer check out marine beam's website. They do a good job of explaining the needs of LED's.
Old 01-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hulagirla—

Check out this post by Maine Sail. He does go into a bit more detail than the average poster and compares several brands of replacement LED bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-17-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I converted every bulb inside my boat to incandescent except for one - the light at the chart table since LED's dont necessarily give you the colors you are used to seeing at night on charts. I used sensibulbs and they have a really warm light and the difference with the current draw is major - also important is that i no longer have to nag my wife to turn out lights all the time. LED's draw so little it doesnt make a whole lot of difference.

Outside the boat I have an LED anchor lite, and LED spreader lites. I have yet to find a red/green I like in LED and the steaming light might as well stay incandescent because the motor is always running when its on.

All of this is very expensive but worth it to me - I eliminated a huge drain on my batteries
Old 01-17-2010
SV Déjàlà

braidmike is on a distinguished road
For interior lighting check out cold cathode flourescents. It does entail higher cost (to replace the fixture as well as the bulb) but they give more lumens per watt. I used LEDs on my exterior lighting and interior lights that are not used as much. In the main cabin and for reading lights I used the CCFs from Taylor. Its been a couple years, and I'm very happy with them. As an added feature, they can be installed with a dimmer. They take a bit getting used to: seems it takes them a few minutes to 'warm up' and produce maximum lighting (actually kind of nice to not get blinded when hitting the switch). The light does seem much warmer than the LEDs in the head and closets. Taylor claims a life of 25000 hours (vs 100000 claimed for LEDs). In two years of normal use, mine are still going strong. The red lens on the one over the chart table seems equal to incandesants in color rendering.
Old 01-18-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I switched my 25 or so inside halogen overheads to LEDs from MAST and am very happy with both the color temperature and the power usage. My navigation lights are all LED and once I get up to the top of the mast and exchange bulbs my anchor light will be as well.

Old 01-24-2010

cruisingmom is on a distinguished road
LED conversion

I have used MASTLIGHT.com and they were wonderful and very reasonable.
They have a great selection of types, colors and amp usage. I am very happy with all the interior and Mast head LEDs that I have converted to.

I converted 9 lamps for under $100, and use next to no amp hours when lit.

I am an LED CONVERT
andy
Old 01-24-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I used to worry about the colour temp of LEDs but that seems to be a thing of past.

I do notice however that LEDs don't give as good a spread of light as incans or hals.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.