Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-01-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Remove fuse from older panel?

My boat has the older DC electrical panel with fuses rather than breakers. How do those things come out? The front of the panel has red squares, and I assumed one pushed on them and they were spring-loaded to pop out.

That seems not to be the case.

Looking at the back provides no clues, as there is a common bus connecting them all that is soldered on -- can't get 'em out from the back.

Do I just pry the red square out from the front with a screwdriver or something? It's gotta be simple, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Remove fuse from older panel?-fuse_panel.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2010
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Call me stupid, but are you sure those aren't circuit breakers? That's a blurry picture, but it looks (here on the blurry side) like those are switches on the right and indicator lights on the left.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 02-01-2010

Mark1948 is on a distinguished road
Open the panel, if they are fuses, glass tupe with silver caps on each end, then you can pull them easily with a fuse puller, frequently included in replacement kits. If there are no glass tubes, it could be the newer auto type fuse. Compare to your car. They have fuse pullers also.
Old 02-01-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I've met the same panels. If you look at the side of the red square "button" which is away from the switch, you should see a small hole in the red plastic, right in front of the metal surface. Stick a toothpick or paper clip into that hole and it releases a small tab, then the red plastic square pops out, followed by the fuse and a spring which may try to rocket into the bilge.

If you break that little tab off, there's no way to conveniently fix it, so do take care. This is a matter of "zero" effort if you do it right, not forcing it.

They work pretty well, all told, and probably were much cheaper (and more "modern" in style) than conventional fuse holders that needed threads to screw down.

The fuses are conventional glass (AGC is it?) automobile type fuses.
Old 02-01-2010
1975 Newport 28

Here are some better pics of the front and back of the panel. The red squares are labled "Fuse," but the back doesn't look like anything is removable, or else I'm just losing my mind and missing the obvious -- which wouldn't surprise me.

I've rewired this panel with better gauge wire since the picture was talken, but the layout is still the same: main power comes in to the right side common bus, a lead goes from the other end of the fuse to the switch. The switch is just a switch to let me turn the power on and off to that circuit in the boat. The fuses on the right (left in the front picture) are doing the circuit protection as far as I can tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Remove fuse from older panel?-circuit_panel_front.jpg   Remove fuse from older panel?-circuit_panel_back.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 02-01-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
What happens if you push on the red squares marked fuse? Does that possibly release a clip or catch allowing the fuse to pop out? They definitely come out the front.

Last edited by mitiempo; 02-01-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-01-2010
1975 Newport 28

Well, that's what I said in the OP: I thought they were spring loaded, but pushing on them does nothing. It's probably the original panel from 1975, but of course the PO didn't know anything about it nor does the owner's manual go into that detail.

I'm just hoping someone with a similar panel on another old boat knows what these things are all about.

Monrovia, MD
Old 02-01-2010
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I've met the same panels. If you look at the side of the red square "button" which is away from the switch, you should see a small hole in the red plastic, right in front of the metal surface. Stick a toothpick or paper clip into that hole and it releases a small tab, then the red plastic square pops out, followed by the fuse and a spring which may try to rocket into the bilge.

If you break that little tab off, there's no way to conveniently fix it, so do take care. This is a matter of "zero" effort if you do it right, not forcing it.

They work pretty well, all told, and probably were much cheaper (and more "modern" in style) than conventional fuse holders that needed threads to screw down.

The fuses are conventional glass (AGC is it?) automobile type fuses.
Look at this post from Hellosailor, it's correct in every way including being careful not to break it. I had a panel just like this on an old boat of mine. However, I've also seen them with a small slot in the side and a mini jewellers flat head screwdriver works well but be gentle with it.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 02-01-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2010
1975 Newport 28

Great! I'll have a close look at the panel next time I'm on the boat.

Thanks to all for the help!

Monrovia, MD
Old 02-01-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Jase, the little slot is to the left of the letter "F" in "FUSE". Some of us need reading glasses to see it, but it IS there. There's no other way into those fuses without ruining the panel.

I've got one of those panels sitting around with just 5 fuse plates on it, I can tell you for sure what happened to ruin the sixth.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.