Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-23-2010

GlacialEratic is on a distinguished road
Deep Cycle Battery Brand Selection

Its time to replace my single 'house' battery on my 1985 Pearson 303. Purchased the boat one year ago and the Trojan group 27 house battery had a sticker on it indicating that its been in service in the boat at least since 2002 (albeit short sailing seasons in Maine) so it seems to have stood the test of time, at least until last season when I neglected to refill the cells often enough and ended the season under filled and fundamentally toasted. But given the charge challenges and cell readings, I think it was near the end of its useful life.

The starter battery is still in pretty good shape and equally long lived so not up for replacement (as yet).

A local battery specialty shop quoted me $165 for a new Trojan 115 Ah group 27 battery and $85 for a 100 Ah group 27 Ultra Power battery. West Marine and our more local Hamilton's both are around $110-120 for their group 27 115 Ah deep cycles.

Anyone comment on actual brand name recommendations? experience? good? bad?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
do some more shopping for Trojan batteries. I am buying a set of trojan T-1275 12 volt, 150 amps each for $140 each.

Make sure you are getting the core charge factored into the pricing.
Regular batteries have a core charge of $12 and big ones are at $24. If you exchange a regular battery for a new regular sized battery you will not have a core charge. The Trojan price may have the extra $12 added on.

I was chatting with a golf cart company. They can buy the cheap chinese batteries for under $80 but they last for 2 or 3 years tops or they can buy comparable Trojans for $110 and get 7 years out of them.
Old 03-23-2010

Trojan horse?

Thanks Xort. This outlet advertises as exclusive Trojan dealer north of Boston.

I"m not married to the Trojan brand, but it seemed to have lasted longer than I might have expected. Our actual use is pretty modest,as most of the sailing we do is daylong only on Casco Bay, and back to available shore power thereafter.
Old 03-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why stick with Trojan batteries, which are now considerably more expensive than very comparable offerings from Exide and other brands. The Exide GC2 is basically the same as a Trojan T105. There are similar bargains to be had in the 12 VDC batteries as well.

Two GC2 batteries give you 220 amp-hours at the 20-hour discharge rate.

I'd point out that Group 31 batteries are almost the same size as Group 27 batteries and give you a good deal more battery capacity for the slight increase in size and cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-23-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Can the other brands (Exide for example) last as long as Trojan's best in cycles battery? I'd like to see either a real comparison. Chart included showing T105 will last many more cycles than any other Trojan. More cycles than any 6 volt Trojan and double all but 2 of their 12 volt batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Deep Cycle Battery Brand Selection-6volt_cycles.jpg   Deep Cycle Battery Brand Selection-12volt_cycles.jpg  

Last edited by mitiempo; 03-23-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-23-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Why stick with Trojan batteries, which are now considerably more expensive than very comparable offerings from Exide and other brands. The Exide GC2 is basically the same as a Trojan T105 and can be bought for about $70... There are similar bargains to be had in the 12 VDC batteries as well.

Two GC2 batteries give you 220 amp-hours at the 20-hour discharge rate.

I'd point out that Group 31 batteries are almost the same size as Group 27 batteries and give you a good deal more battery capacity for the slight increase in size and cost.
But are they comparable?...see my post earlier talking to a golf cart guy who burns through the exide 3 times faster than a trojan.
Old 03-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mitiempo—

Funny you should ask... I was just speaking about this with Maine Sail this past weekend at the Maine Boat Builder's Show. He has a friend who is responsible for the golf carts at a major golf course...and they switched to the Exide GC2s about four years ago and have seen no difference in performance and a rather huge savings in not using the Trojan T105s.

I'd point out that almost all of the major manufacturers will have a 6 VDC GC2 type battery and that all of them will perform relatively similarly. Golf courses and other users of these batteries use them a lot and chart/track their performance. If the batteries any well-known manufacturer was selling as a GC2 was not up to the performance of a Trojan T105, it would probably be pretty well documented.

BTW, I will be replacing my house battery bank with Exide GC2's in early April, as I am increasing the size of the house bank to 4 GC2s, to 440 amp-hours.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-23-2010
Telstar 28

Which Exide battery is he talking about... if it isn't the GC2, he's comparing apples to oranges. Even if he went through them twice as fast...he'd still be breaking even...since they're about half-the-price of the T105s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
But are they comparable?...see my post earlier talking to a golf cart guy who burns through the exide 3 times faster than a trojan.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-23-2010

battery basics

Sounds like there is no clear cut history of Trojan batteries being an absolute better value than other brands about 2/3 the cost. good info !

Thanks all