SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   measure amp usage (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/63343-measure-amp-usage.html)

QuickMick 03-29-2010 11:12 AM

measure amp usage

I need to rewire the boat, and it has been widely (and wisely) advised that the first place to start is to figure out my consumption pattern. Is there an easy way to do this by using the demised electrical box on the dock? take a reading on a friday at 5, sunday at five, divide result by two (i thought a two day sample would be more accurate). anyone know 1)if this makes sense and 2)how the heck do i read an electric meter?

thanks

wind_magic 03-29-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickMick (Post 586689)
I need to rewire the boat, and it has been widely (and wisely) advised that the first place to start is to figure out my consumption pattern. Is there an easy way to do this by using the demised electrical box on the dock? take a reading on a friday at 5, sunday at five, divide result by two (i thought a two day sample would be more accurate). anyone know 1)if this makes sense and 2)how the heck do i read an electric meter?

thanks

QuickMick, are you just asking how you read the spinning dial or digital display on your electric meter ? If so you just read the number off of it, which is a total amount of kilowatt/hrs used, then you measure the amount of time you wait, then you read the number again and divide it by the time to see what your usage is per unit of time. Is that what you are trying to do ?

Obviously if you do that you need to be the only one using that box.

Wikipedia: Electricity meter

QuickMick 03-29-2010 11:33 AM

spinning dials... you know the ones the meter man still has to read? and yes, my box is demised to my slip. yeah, thats what im trying to do.. ty

wind_magic 03-29-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickMick (Post 586699)
spinning dials... you know the ones the meter man still has to read? and yes, my box is demised to my slip. yeah, thats what im trying to do.. ty

That link has a section titled "Reading your meter" that gives you some ideas about how to get a useful reading out of it. It says something about turning everything off and then turning things on one at a time to get the reading, etc, and has the math for getting watts.

QuickMick 03-29-2010 11:37 AM

thanks much, but i didnt see a link in the post?

wind_magic 03-29-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickMick (Post 586703)
thanks much, but i didnt see a link in the post?

Wikipedia: Electricity meter

Edit, the part you want is about one third of the way down in that page, it has the title "Reading electromechanical meters"

funjohnson 03-29-2010 12:19 PM

The best explanation that I got was from Don Casey's The Complete Sailboat Maintenance Manual.

It uses very easy to understand pictures and metaphors for using the meter to figure something simple like this, to more complicated trouble shooting methods.

btrayfors 03-29-2010 01:08 PM

Uhhh....I think we have a disconnect here (pun intended).

Don't know what amp measurement of shorepower really has to do with rewiring the boat.

I suspect that whoever made the suggestion to "figure out my consumption pattern" was talking mostly about 12V DC power, i.e., power drawn from the batteries. That is very much related to boat wiring.

Am I right?

Bill

funjohnson 03-29-2010 01:16 PM

I hope he is no longer planing on using the shore power to find his consumption, but will use a proper multimeter to find each items real consumption.

QuickMick 03-29-2010 01:19 PM

yes Bill, so am i incorrect in assuming that if i only use 'on the hook' systems i can use said meter to evaluate usage, either on a 'total look' basis or on an 'item specific basis'? w/batts fully charged i would think im only pulling juice on the individual systems im powering... esp. if all systems off, the meter doesnt spin... hence no false readings due to batt recharge?