Reward for lost Kraken!
Join Date: Apr 2006
Thanked 132 Times in 129 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Helios, I would gently suggest that you have too much trust in your battery charger as compared to your light bulbs. At home on land, my light bulbs are pretty much cold (fluorsecent) and secured in wall sockets, so I don't worry much about them.
But one weekend I went away sailing and, as usual, left the computer with voicemail system and brand name backup power supply (i.e., same as a battery charger) running. Came home and said, gee, that's funny, I was sure I left the computer on.
Well, the computer was probably off because heavy storms had spiked the usually reliable underground AC power lines in the area, resulting in some fault in the charger, which in turn blew an internal fuse in the batteries. If the battery maker hadn't included that internal fuse---the whole building would have burned down.
The wall circuit fuse had not blown, the fuse in the charger had not blown, the breaker in the power strip had not blown. The batteries overheated and slagged down an internal device along with part of their housing.
If you think it is safe to leave a charger running, think about "relatively safe" instead. Killing the AC breaker for everything is still the only way to get really close to "safe".
A charger with a metal housing, on a bulkhead that is fire-resistant, with an overhead that is well clear, with some well-fused batteries...still would be safer off. (Not that I'm paranoid about fire, I've just met one too many small ones and figure one day my luck might run out.)
Last edited by hellosailor; 04-19-2010 at 10:52 AM.