Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-06-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
A/C wiring the C27 from scratch

Okay - I need help. I'm wiring the shorepower for the Smacktanic - and I'm starting from scratch. The shore power plug is there - but no wiring at all. Judging by the wiring diagram it looks stupid simple - but what do I know?

So I'm thinking of using GFI outlets. Cool? Where should I put them? I'm thinking one in the aft dinette seat wall (where the 12V system is), and one in v-berth indention wall, so I have power forward and aft. Does anyone else have a C27 set up that I could go off of?

Also, I'm assuming I'll put THIS BREAKER in the dinette seat storage area with the 12V stuff, then distribute from there.

What else do I need to think about here?

PS - There is an old outlet looking thing in the cabin and another in the cockpit under-seat storage that both have a round 3-pin female connection. What's that about? Is it supposed to be comm? Or power?
Attached Thumbnails
A/C wiring the C27 from scratch-wiring-diagram.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A couple of points... first, you need to have a proper shore power panel. A good one for a boat the size of the Smacktanic is this one:

I'd also recommend getting a proper shorepower outlet. I like the newer design that looks like this:

Which is on sale over at SBO until the 12th or so.

This cord is a bit better a design than the older twist-lock ones. It also has a built-in thermostat that shuts it down if the outlet itself starts to overheat. However, you do need to buy a regular 30 amp shorepower cord and hack the end off to install the plug that comes with this one. I just installed this on my boat.

The panel needs to be within 10' of the shorepower outlet to be compliant with ABYC code. The hot and neutral wires should be connected to the shorepower ganged breakers on the panel, and the ground should be connected to the boat's 12 VDC system as well as the AC panel ground bus strip. DO NOT CONNECT THE NEUTRAL AND GROUND LINES, which would be the normal practice on a terrestrial 110 VAC system. The connection between Neutral and Ground must be made on SHORE.

The back of the panel should have a non-conductive cover, especially if it is in close proximity to the 12 VDC wiring systems.

Each circuit should have a GFCI outlet as the first outlet, closest to the panel. The additional outlets do not need to be GFCI outlets, as they are protected by the first outlet on each circuit.

Ideally, you shouldn't run high voltage and low voltage wiring together. If you have to do so, put the high-voltage wiring inside a cable loom to protect it from chafe and help identify it as high-voltage. I use color-coded cable ties to identify high-voltage wiring from 12 VDC wiring. It helps if you use YELLOW wire for the 12 VDC ground wires, since the black wire is used for 110 VAC hot wiring.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-07-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Cool. Thanks Dog.

So I understand a bit more, what does the panel provide over the layout in the original diagram (breaker only)?

Old 04-06-2010

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
The panel would allow you to have more then one circuit, so if in the future if you wanted to have a microwave, you will not be popping breakers if a light is on.

Last edited by Freesail99; 04-06-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The panel allows you to have THREE independent circuits, so that you can selectively pick what you want powered up.

It also gives you breakers that are sized more for the wiring loads that you'll have on each independent circuit. The double ganged breakers are 30 amp breakers, cause that is what the normal shorepower feed is. The lower three independent breakers are usually 15 amps breakers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Cool. Thanks Dog.

So I understand a bit more, what does the panel provide over the layout in the original diagram (breaker only)?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-07-2010

fairbank56 is on a distinguished road
If your boat has a DC bonding system, I would also suggest a galvanic isolator in series with the shore power ground wire to prevent galvanic current corrosion. Also, the ABYC recommendation is that a main shore power disconnect breaker be within 10 feet of the shore power inlet. As long as you meet this recommendation, you can put the AC distribution panel anywhere you want as long as it is readily accessible and protected from weather and water splash. If you install it next to the DC distribution panel, you should provide physical protection so that anyone accessing the rear of the DC panel cannot be exposed to energized parts of the AC panel.

Eric
Old 04-07-2010
Last Man Standing

fair - what is a DC bonding system? I've seen the galvanic isolator mentioned elsewhere but wasn't sure what drove that need. I have an OB motor (that is kept out of the water at the slip). I've understood that IB motors/shafts are one of the main issues in electrolysis(?) and corrosion so thought I was pretty safe. What else am I missing?

free - thanks for the feedback. I was just going by the original C27 wiring diagram. For our purposes, 1 circuit is actually fine as it is just a lake boat. We really only need an interior light and/or charging capabilities while in the slip. Thus far we've been using an extension cord run from the slip outlet through the deck hatch - so anything is an upgrade. In this case, do you think a panel is still necessary? Seems like a lot of money to throw at a glorified extension cord.

dog - be a little calmer with your PMs will ya? Typing that many asterisks can hurt a guy.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-07-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You have been given good advice so far. The extra breakers on the panel that dog showed will come in handy. Many AC chargers are hardwired to their own breaker. Use 10/3 marine wire from the shorepower inlet to the panel and 14/3 marine wire to the outlets or charger.
Old 04-07-2010

fairbank56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
fair - what is a DC bonding system?
Metal thru-hull fittings that are wired (bonded) together along with the negative side of the DC system. Galvanic current can occur between two boats near each other in salt water when they both have underwater thru-hull fittings connected to their negative DC system which is also connected to the shore power ground connection. This is basically a battery, two boats tied together via the shore power ground and their underwater thru-hulls. Galvanic voltage levels are generally under 1 volt and the isolator will prevent these currents while still providing protection from AC shorts on board. Sounds like you probably don't need one.

Eric
Old 04-07-2010
Last Man Standing

Wow - great explanation fair. I had no idea.

Thanks for the feedback guys.