800 watts = $160! - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 04-17-2010 Thread Starter
me at 67!

800 watts = $160!

OMG! this tiny little generator I saw at Harbor freight! gotta wonder if it would be better then not having any. At that price and with the full replacement plan it's very tempting!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66619

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-17-2010

Harborfreight is known for great tools and rotten electrical equipment.

A friend once bought a knock off thinking it'd be cheaper. Took him a long time to get it returned and his $$ back because the unit did not produce to its rating and then didn't work.

The only generators that people have truly been happy with on boats are the Hondas, plus maybe one or two others, but rare.

Don't waste your money or your time.

Stu Jackson, C34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#)
post #3 of 28 Old 04-17-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

Usually if it's to good to be true.....

1971 23' Oday Pop Top
S/V Frida

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
post #4 of 28 Old 04-17-2010
Barking Dog

I am running my laptop, my wifes laptop, charging my house and windlass batteries, my NanoStation WIFI antenna and wirelss router off my honda 2000 right now. It works great and I can barely hear it 20 feet away. OK, I can hear it but it's soft enough to mentally block it out when you aren't thinking whether or not you can hear it. Never tried AC.

I originally bought a honda 1000 and my Freedom 25 battery charger would trip the breaker on the generator on bulk charge. An 800 Watt generator from Harbor Frieght (rumered to run at a lower than it's rating) may be a dissappointment if it can't even charge your batteries. Your load and indended usage could be different though. I also recently read on a blog that their 1000 watt honda wasn't powerful enough to run their orbital palm sander. Thinking back, I may have run an orbital sander off my 1000 watt honda generator.

Craig
post #5 of 28 Old 04-17-2010

Can't hep wonder what it is they you have which runs on less than 800w that can't be effectively run off a small inverter.
post #6 of 28 Old 04-17-2010
Telstar 28

A yamaha or honda would be a better bet. Also, the Yamaha and Hondas are four-strokes, so likely to be more fuel efficient and less noisy.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #7 of 28 Old 04-17-2010

Not worth the time to look at it. It will only work for a while, it runs at 3600rpm all the time, is loud, uses lots of fuel and worst yet you will not be able to get all the oil and gas out of it when you discover it's true use, it's only good use, is as a kellet.

Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
post #8 of 28 Old 04-17-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A yamaha or honda would be a better bet. Also, the Yamaha and Hondas are four-strokes, so likely to be more fuel efficient and less noisy.
IMHO Dog hit the nail on the head. By their very design, 2-strokes can't have effective mufflers. So it will be loud in use. Who needs that? Get a small solar panel for about the same price, and you'll get a lot more watts out of it over time.

Regards,
Brad

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
post #9 of 28 Old 04-17-2010

i had one just like that. i had it for low demand storm use at home. i did use it on the boat till it died, it lasted outside under a small roof at home for 3 years. less than a year on the boat, but it was not only on the boat, it was almost 4 years old. it ran for about 5 hours on a gallon, was not overwhelmingly loud.

i would say if you wont need it often go for it, and i mean often as in just for float charge monthly or storm use at home. basicly as a back up its fine, not to be used daily or even weekly.
post #10 of 28 Old 04-17-2010 Thread Starter
me at 67!

Well, OMG again! $199.00! There's a 45 watt solar panel set up available at harbor freight too! They are glass and alum framed of course. I have 2, 5 watt panels on my boat and they keep my batteries up.

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

My boat is sold!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.