Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-31-2010

99miles is on a distinguished road
How to wire this switch panel

I'm trying to wire up this old switch panel, but it looks different than the diagrams in Casey's book as far as I can tell.
This is a poor photo, but the left side has the positive going out to say, a light.
Are the right two terminals for positive and negative to the battery, respectively?
I was thinking I'd just have to send one positive and one negative wire to it, but maybe that's not the case. I'm also a little confused b/c this is a very old panel and has been used before, but the right terminals look like they'd require a soldered connection, but I see no signs of previous soldering on there.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99miles View Post
I'm trying to wire up this old switch panel, but it looks different than the diagrams in Casey's book as far as I can tell.
This is a poor photo, but the left side has the positive going out to say, a light.
Are the right two terminals for positive and negative to the battery, respectively?
I was thinking I'd just have to send one positive and one negative wire to it, but maybe that's not the case. I'm also a little confused b/c this is a very old panel and has been used before, but the right terminals look like they'd require a soldered connection, but I see no signs of previous soldering on there.

Don't bother. Sooner or later, it will only bring you grief.

Do yourself and your Cal 24-2 a favor and spring for a new panel, like this one: Blue Sea Systems #1459 Panel 360 DC 4 POS Switch CLB + V M V

While you're at it, revisit Casey or, maybe, Charlie Wing's excellent book:
Amazon.com: Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook (9780071446440): Charlie Wing: Books

The $23 will be the best you ever spend on your boat :-)

Bill
Old 05-31-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
2nd vote for a new panel, and get some duplex marine cable while you are at it....

Casey's book is excellent. As is Charlie's.

Will be more reliable and much safer than "fixing" this one.
Old 05-31-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I agree, get the new panel.
On the pic the fuse is on the left and the wire goes from the fuse to the left side of the switch. Note the left side of the switch has the same 2 connections and how the wires are attached. The right side of the switch is for the positive output to the load (gps, light, etc).
Lots of panels do not have a place for the grounds and it isn't necessary anyway as you're only switching the positive. Blue Seas 360 panels do not have ground connections as one example. They usa a separate connecting point, usually a small bus or terminal block.
Old 05-31-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The panel that Bill linked to is a 360 series panel and as I posted the grounds go to a separate bus. The only reason there is a ground on the panel at all is for the led indicator lights. From the manual for the Blue Seas panel:
Attached Thumbnails
How to wire this switch panel-1.jpg  
Old 06-01-2010

99miles is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone. I did get it working today, but I think I'll take your advice and upgrade the panel and wiring.