Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-06-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
what gauge wire to use with a Fourwinds 2 wind generator

Anyone have a FourwindsII installed? I need to know what gauge wiring to use for connecting the generator to the battery (directly connected) and what gauge wire to use from the battery - through a Xantrex c60 - and to a dump load.

For the second part, I already have 6 gauge wire run to the secondary switch panel that's only used for the washdown pump. I may make that a dedicated wire for the dump load. Why am I not sure about making it dedicated? Because if it's in use, it will already be dumping the load, so it will then be needed less. Anyway, that's what I'm thinking.

It's that first part that I'm wondering about. Just how much current can one expect to get out of a FourwindsII. The website has a chart with amperages listed for different wind speeds.

But the chart doesn't show the top end. The specs say 300 watts, but I'm not sure I believe it and want to make sure I'm not frying the wires -- which would then put the generator into no-load overspeed, somthing the air brake should help with.

So what wire gauge does your FourwindsII use to connect to your battery bank?

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I could use an existing wire (coming from the shore power charger) that's 8 gauge by the looks of it. It might be 6, I figure it's at least 8.

8 gauge will handle 68 amps. I think I'll use that. The Fourwinds site says " Voltage Regulator: 12V or 24V to 60 Amps" so I guess I'l plan to go with that.

Regards,
Brad

I'm using this site Blue Sea Systems

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 06-06-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Brad
It is not just how much amperage the wire will handle (ampacity), but the voltage drop over distance. Use this link to find gauge for amps/distance at your choice of voltage drop. I recommend 3% or less and remember distance is there and back.
AWG by wire length/amps calculator
Old 06-09-2010
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Voltage drop is not important, as the wind generator output voltage will rise to whatever is needed to drive the wattage through your wiring (the open circuit voltage at 20 knots is probably 40 volts). The minimum wire size would be 10 guage, which has an ampacity of 60 amps.