Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-14-2010

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Do you have a link 2000?

I was wondering if someone out there, might have a link 2000, controlling their inverter. I have just gone through the procedure of installing one with a xantrex inverter, as well as a bank of 10 trojan t 105's. My question is, do you enter the total bank amp hours in the battery capacity,(2250) or the single battery capacity (225)? Thanks Bri.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
My guess is neither.

Ten T-105's in series/parallel (I assume you have a 12-volt system) would give you 5 x 225 or 1125AH total capacity. That, I believe, is what gets entered into the Link 2000.

Bill
Old 06-14-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I have the 2000, yes you enter the total hours (10 batteries...wow!) The 2000 can only monitor two battery banks. Mine is set up to monitor the starting battery and the house bank, I am guessing you are setting up the same, but you may consider splitting the two evenly?

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/83/docserve.aspx

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The Link 2000 was designed to monitor two battery banks. However, it can be set up to monitor just one bank. I'm doing that on a customer's boat right now.

In September 1997 Xantrex issued a Technical Note entitled, "Link 2000 Monitoring Only One Battery Bank". It's available on the Xantrex website.

Basically, you just jump the sensor pairs (so that the Link does double-sampling) and move everything to just one side of the double-shunt.

Depending on how your batteries are set up, it may not make sense to monitor the start battery...just the house batteries, e.g., if you have an EchoCharge or DuoCharge to maintain the start battery. In that case, you might want to set up the Link for just one battery bank.

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 06-14-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-14-2010

Thank you very much T37, and btrayfors! You are correct in assuming 1 large bank, and an independent start battery. Sure glad I have a couple of tough nephews who needed a workout packing those t 105's! They can handle air conditioners, and watermakers too,... ahh to be 19 again... if only they liked sanding...

Old 06-14-2010

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Yes, enter the capacity of the house bank...I find mine invaluable for managing our power use and I am sure that it will enable me to prolong the battery life.
Old 06-18-2010

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
For a large house bank and a separate reserve bank, you must use the F11 function on the Link 2000, and the house bank MUST be #1. You do not need to jumper anything, or move anything to one side of the shunt, which would defeat the whole purpose of the Link 2000: to measure two banks. Don't do that. Xantrex issued another Technical Note, Issue 024, 4-22-98 Rev 2, which discusses this: "Subject: Link 200 Monitoring a house bank and an engine battery." Read it here: Xantrex Technology Inc. - Document Library Scroll down, it's there.

F11 ON – the Link checks both #1 and #2 (as if there were two equal house banks). This is the default position of this parameter. This is what was mentioned as being "the way it was designed."
F11 OFF – ONLY bank #1 will trigger the charger, it’s telling the LINK to forget completely about bank #2’s condition in relation to telling the charger to operate, and assumes you’ve figured out a manual or automatic way to charge the second battery
(like an echo charger or combiner).
This is a simple change to this parameter and was designed into the Link 2000 as "another way to use it."

Since the Link 2000 can work two battery banks, I suggest that you do NOT split your house bank either. The best bang for your battery bucks is a large house bank and a separate reserve bank, which is what you have installed. Use it, and the Link 2000 to monitor them both. It's what I do.

We also don't know how your alternator output and your Freedom (assuming that's what you meant by inverter, although even if you have a separate inverter and not a Freedom combined inverter/charger, these suggestions about Link operation STILL APPLY) output are wired, through the C post of the 1-2-B switch (see: Alternator/Batteries & "The Basic" 1-2-B Switch BEST Wiring Diagrams) or directly to the house bank (preferred).

You should also be aware of this: Link-series Charging Algorithms -- The "Gotcha" Factor!

Bill, you may want to reconsider your new installation, too. Your customer will appreciate being able to use the full capacity of the Link 2000 he just purchased.

Last edited by Stu Jackson; 06-18-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2010

ChipD is on a distinguished road
Link and Equalizing Charge

I hope this is not hijacking the thread. I have Link 1000 and it is very confusing how to commence an equalizing charge. I find the actual operation does not precisely match the printed instructions. I end up experimenting every time to get it to start. The panel of the Link 1000 suggests you can just press SET and CHARGE simultaneously to start an equalizing charge, but it does not work so. Have other people found this to be the case as well?
Old 06-25-2010

I have found that the best way to get my xantrex to work,... was to say goodbye to it. When a company doesn't support their product anymore, what do I want with it on a cruising boat? Hard to make work at home = never gonna make it out there. My 2 cent's anyway.

Old 11-27-2010

wmiii is on a distinguished road
I have a link 2000 and am not able to get correct voltage readings on my house battery bank. I have 2 Grp 27 AGM's on one bank and 4 on the other. My voltage reading is correct for the 2 battery bank and way off, low, on the 4 bank. I have batt cap set at 200 for one and 400 for other. What do I have set wrong?
Thanks,
Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.