Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-27-2010

HorizonHunter is on a distinguished road
Solar Panel wiring

Hey everyone,

Last night I built a solar panel rack, mounted a 20watt 1amp panel, and installed a charge controller rated up to 4amps.

Now I am about to go run the wires. I have two 12volt batteries hooked up in parallel. The alternator from my engine also runs to my batteries and I have a battery charger for when I am at the marina. Here is my question:

Once I have the solar panel hooked to the battery (coming from the charge controller), If I plugged in my shore power battery charger would it cause an issue? And for the sake of this question assume that the shore power battery charger also has a built in charge controller.

Also, the alternator will not cause and issue, right? So I guess my question is:

Can batteries use multiple charging sources simultaneously? I have been told to never run the engine and have the shore power battery charger hooked up at the same time. So, I never tried it so I dont know if it would do anything.

Last edited by HorizonHunter; 06-27-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Yes they can, and it happens all the time.

Typically, one or more charging devices will be "fooled" into thinking they're not needed because of the high voltage occasioned by the "primary" charging source, so they'll cut their output back or off.

Thus, you'll not get "optimum" output from multiple sources without special controllers, but in most cases you won't do any damage. Including running your engine with the shorepower on.

Bill
Old 06-27-2010

Thanks for the info. That is what I was thinking. I just wanted to bounce my ideas off someones before landing the wires.

Alright I am off to land the wires. pics to follow
Old 06-27-2010
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Best not to use multiple charging sources like Bill said.

I used a 3 position, three lug toggle switch for my solar charger. It is wired separately from by the rotary battery selector switch. Using the toggle I can either turn the solar charger off or send the charge to either battery.

I have also just ordered a 20 watt charger to trickle charge my two Optima batteries. I have been told by several people that a charging controller isn't necessary because of the size of the batteries and the relative small 1 amp panel. Optima shows a Float Charge: 13.2 to 13.8 volts; 1 amp maximum; (indefinite time at lower voltages)

Does anyone disagree with that?
Old 06-27-2010

Ok, its done!

You probably dont need a charge controller with a panel this size, but I plan to add additional panels to this system or maybe a wind gen.

I still have some small tasks to do like, dress up the wires and stuff, but the bulk of the job is done. The boat is now charging, and I mounted my float switch in my bilge and set it to auto.

Last edited by HorizonHunter; 06-27-2010 at 07:30 PM.