Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-06-2010

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post

When I get to the boat this weekend I'm going to check my breaker panel and determine if Catalina installed a hot bus (always hot regardless of battery switch position). If not I'll add one as this will be a cleaner installation than tying multiple lines to a battery terminal.
Jim, as far as I know they didn't. The DP is served from the output of the 1-2-B switch, the Common post. That's why all DC stuff turns off when you turn the 1-2-B switch to OFF.

If you want further information, go find your boat manual which should have a wiring diagram. If you don't have one, go to the C30 Association website, International Catalina 30 Association and you should be able to find one.
Old 08-18-2010

Leggaseastwind is on a distinguished road
New To sailnet

I'm trying to wire a new Sony marine stereo in my '78 Oday 25. We tried installing a stereo a month ago and didn't get any power to the unit at all. I brought the stereo back and got a different one. Hooked that one up last night and got power to the unit but it was very flaky. We did discover that our power wire (red) was corroded. Is it possible that our 32 year old wiring fried the units
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"We did discover that our power wire (red) was corroded. Is it possible that our 32 year old wiring fried the units"
Not likely that you fried the stereos. Old wiring tends to fail, as in provide no voltage at all. to fry them, you'd have to provide excess voltage (regulator failure on the alternator or 17V from solar panels) or reverse voltage.
If you want to be sure, run some alligator wires (buy a long set from Radio Shack) from the battery directly to the radio power leads. Stereos often use two positive leads, typically red and orange for the main power and the memory power and you may need to power up BOTH for it to work. And then another wire, black or yellow, for the negative aka "ground" lead.
Then there are the speakers...if it uses four that's eight more wires and if you only test one, and the fade/balance knob is set to the other side you get the sounds of silence.
On a boat that old it probably pays to run new power wires (hot and ground) all the way from the panel to the radio, assuming you've got good power into the panel. No telling what a PO did, like creatively splice in lamp cord with a twist and tape in some hidden place.
Alligator wires: A good long-term investment of ten bucks.
Old 08-18-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Not likely unless you reversed the positive and negative wires. If your wiring is that old and corroded best to use new tinned wire to hook up the stereo.
An inexpensive multimeter would be useful as well. Digital ones are available for about $15 now. When checking wires with the digital for voltage if the leads are reversed you will get a negative number. Very easy to use for troubleshooting and checking before attaching the wires.

Was the red wire positive? On an old boat you can't be sure without checking.

Last edited by mitiempo; 08-18-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: add

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.