Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-08-2010

PeteatBeach is on a distinguished road
Replacement for the Xantrex Link 1000

Any one have suggestions/recommendations for replacement of a Link 1000 that enables monitoring of batteries (house and engine separately), and control of a Freedom 10 inverter/charger?

Link 1000 and 2000 are out of production. Discovering lack of service and support from Xantrex can be frustrating - they don't answer emails to their technical support address.

Maybe a combination of products like LinkPro and another control panel for the Freedom 10?
Old 08-09-2010

75R20 is on a distinguished road
Is the unit "non-functioning" ?
Mine is even older, as I have the original "E" Meter on my boat, and while it needs to be reset from time to time to re-sync it, I'm happy with it's performance. I also have a brand new one in the package, as a spare. Maybe you just need to become more famialar with it, and how it works ? It took me a while to understand the functions, and the manual is not that helpful.
I'm sure that many here can help with the various functions and how they work. Post up your questions.
Best of luck
Kary
S/V Mariah
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2010

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Looks like you'll have to go the eBay route for a replacement. Don't limit yourself to a Link 1000, because the 2000 work them too, not sure if the Link 10 and 20 will do so, but you can check the Xantrex website. Doesn't even appear if they are making the remote panel for the Freedom - maybe. We used our Freedom 15 for many years before I got around to installing our Link 2000, and used the switch on the Freedom for inverter control, but it meant that without a separate switch it would always be charging when we plugged in anywhere, and that the equalization function couldn't be used without the Link.

Your idea of a Link Pro and a separate panel seems the only way to go for complete functionality IF you can find a remote panel for the Freedom - just make sure any newer Freedom panel is compatible with your older Freedom unit.

I checked the Xantrex website and it looks like they have changed design direction and are making their I/C units with handy-dandy "removable" control panels. Seems to mean that either you put it where you can see it, or hide it and not have to buy something extra. That seems, at first glance, like a nice idea. But the devil is always in the details, because the quality of the "removable display" makes its functioning somewhat questionable.

A friend wrote: One thing you need to know about the remote location option of the panel in the XC series charger is that while it can be removed from the main unit, there is no mounting means provided for it except for some rather permanent adhesive backed tape already in place around the periphery of the panel. If you ever want to be able to remove it from a mounting location, you will have to make a backing plate with a cutout to permanently mount the remote panel onto, and then mount the backing plate + remote panel assembly with screws in the corners. Not a very well thought out design detail in my opinion. The lip around the panel is relatively small, and drilling mounting holes in it could result in warranty issues in the future.

Also, Xantrex, since they bought out Cruising Equipment, have NO CLUE about how anything works, and reports are they are not too helpful technically, even if you can get someone who'd talk to you.

Last edited by Stu Jackson; 08-09-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
As I understand it Xantrex is discontinuing their Freedom 10/15/20/25/30 series of invertor/charger, so there will by their thinking be no need for a Link 1000/2000 to control them. I very much doubt that any other manufacturers product will control the Freedom products.

Both the Freedom HF 1800 I am about to install and another Xantrex invertor I installed recently have the control panel attached to the invertor with 2 screws, one on each side. When remote mounting the 2 screws are used for attaching it to its new location.

Freedom HF 1800 shown below
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement for the Xantrex Link 1000-1.jpg