Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-24-2010

sterilecuckoo58 is on a distinguished road
Battery Location

After much hunting I have found little discussion of where to put the batteries. I have a 24-ft Vivacity now with two deep cycle batteries and am planning on upgrading some of the wiring and adding a panel for equipment currently wired and fused direct to the batteries. The batteries are currently in the space under the aft bench of the starboard dinette, adjacent to the companion way in battery boxes. I'd like to use this storage space for bedding (close to point of use). I am also not entirely happy bout the H2 from the batteries being inside (as inside as a companion way ever gets). Of course I did not let that bother me on the old VW bug were I spent many years sitting on the 6V battery.

I have read not to put the battery in the bilge and that I should enclose them well to prevent acid spillage when we turtle. What I'd like to do is install them in bracketed cases mounted on the wall of the forward starboard seat locker. I keep combustibles in the aft starboard locker and there is little room in the port starboard locker with the bilge pump. I was thinking there might be advantage to separating the batteries (one to port, one to starboard) but there is not much room to port.

Mounted on the rear wall I can support them well with brackets through bolted to the aft seat locker (sealing the penetrations) keeping them out of the potential water level should we take on sea over the stern.

I have no motor starting requirements (my arm does that) and plan to run the batteries in parallel and only switch to one or the other if I anticipate draining one or take one out of service.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook