Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-25-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You're right, but they don't seem to be very common. Interesting pricing in the second link.
Old 10-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No, they're not common, but I've used them for a few projects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2010

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Where oh where will they go

OK those are good points.
I can move the switch and the fuse panel out of there. The big 400 amp fuse and two 400 amp busses and the two 250 amp busses would need to stay. The 150 (small buses round and straight ) could they stay?

I think the large fuse needs to be as close to the positive post of the battery as possible.

The batteries are temporary. They came with the boat and I researched them, they are old. We are in the process of building our refer so there is really nothing running off them but some LED lights and the anchor windlass.

We plan on replacing the batteries. I was hoping for AGM’s but is may well be Trojans. At any rate they are secured along the sides with wood. At this time the design is in the works. I am not sure what batteries are going in there so we have not gone further with a tie down hold down on the top. We have been working on the boat for 1 ˝ years and have not seriously sailed out of the harbor in San Diego much so there has been no threat to the batteries.

We will be re-powering in a month or so and that is going to consume 2 months of time before the new motor is in. There is a one month time of no motor. So we have time to figure it out with the electrical.

This is good input.

The batteries are under the satee. So they are not in the bilge.

Satee space before battery move

Now - satee still works fine. It is a fold out bed so there is plenty of support.
It is covered so there is no chance of dropping anything in there.

There is limited space and places for six batteries. Plus a starting battery. We will be adding two more house batteries. They will go next to these in the next section of the satee. The starting battery is located by the engine. We did not want the batteries in the bilge or by the engine.
I wish there was a place for all the fuse blocks etc away from the batteries but there simply is not.

We are running 4/0 wires also so that requires space. We have a 2000 charger inverter that is 10’ away or more from the batteries so 4/0 is required.
I will try to re-think the placement of the large fuse blocks. There is of course a down side to each move. The anchor windlass wires would need to be re-sized if we add length to them. There is no sense with running them in a long loop so where the end at the battery buss now is good. So I could move the 150 amp busses and the switch and the blade fuse panel out of there to behind the nav station. About 10’ to 14 feet away as the wires run around and around. The battery ground needs to go to the 400 amp buss. I can not think of another location. If I go to the next satte compartment there will be two batteries there also. Wish I could get all six in this one spot. I can re-try
on that. It could be if I built a little shelf to enlarge the the way the hull shape confines the space. If could fit two more batteries in this space and put all the buses in the next satte space. Not sure about AGM or Trojans sizes, I will need to look them up.

Nav station

I was wrong, the fuse is actually a 125 amp (max) that goes in the positive wire to the blade fuse panel.
30 amps per circuit
100 amps per block
32 vots DC

Please remember this is all still very much under construction

Last edited by SanDiegoChip; 10-26-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The items that should be moved are pictured below. The heavy cable busses can stay. The T class fuse has to stay as well.

As far as strapping the batteries down, plan on being at 90+ degrees and strap them accordingly. If and when you get knocked down the last thing you need is an electrical fire.

Trojan batteries or comparable are a better value than AGM and could well last longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuse size for fuse panel?-1.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2010

The buss shuffle

Got to the boat yesterday and made the changes.

How’s this look? Got the two 400 amp busses and the two 250 amp busses in place and removed the rest. Left the big fuse where it was. One 400 amp buss is hard to see because it has a black cover on it. I will get covers for the rest.

Am I ready to do the cable ordering for these busses and fuse connections!!

Also I removed these items like sugested

Old 10-28-2010

125 amp fuse stuff

I also picked up a fuse block and 125 amp fuse for the blade fuse panel.
Old 10-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, but why do you need all those bus bars in the battery compartment. Aside from the batteries, what are you connecting to them and why???

Very little should be directly connected to the batteries.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-28-2010

600 amp
engine ground to buss
battery neg to buss
Buss to 250 amp buss
One post for growth?

250 amp buss
600 amp buss connecting
Anchor windlass
To 150 amp buss in nav station
To blade fuse holder in nav station

Also I am just not sure what we might need as we are still building out the boat.
Refer - in the works
Water maker
AC for Mexico?
TV & speakers
We will be adding another shore power 110 line.
Does not sound like it but we are trying to keep it simple.
We will be living on the boat at anchor and marinas for the rest of my life. I am 64 so say 15-20 years.
So I am thinking it does not cost much to put them in and it is easier now than later.

Is this flawed thinking?
Old 10-28-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
What Dog is saying is that all this should be at the rear of your electrical panel not in your battery compartment. (The direct windless connection to a fuse is OK)...but all the other stuff you want ran through breakers or your fuse panel anyway..no?

Some thing like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuse size for fuse panel?-100_0165-1.jpg  

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-28-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2010

OK so I lose the 250 amp busses and just go with the two 600 amp busses and the big fuse block.
On the negative side
1. Then I run the engine ground neg to the 600 amp buss
2. Then battery negative to the 600 amp buss (can go on same post as engine ground)?
3. Then connect the anchor windlass to the 600 amp buss.
4. Solar controller would connect to it.
5. Battery charger to it.
6. Then run a cable to the nav station (where the electrical panel is) to a negative 150 amp buss.
7. Then run a cable to the nav station (where the electrical panel is) to a negative blade fuse panel buss

Could one buss connect to another or would that possibly overload the buss?

Some cables would need to share a post.

So in the picture I see what I think are three negative busses.
This chart confuse me with the panel.
Can you explain this. For instance “White”. I am guessing that color was chosen to represent something that was not on the chart list?
Boat Wiring

Anyway one looks like it has a couple shunts connected to it so that must be battery charger.

There are two busses without cables connected to them. The ones without the shunt. I do not understand how they are providing a ground without as ground to the batteries through a cable, loke a 1/0 cable?

I do not see any positive wires going to a buss.

On the positive side of the 600 amp buss the big fuse would connect to the buss.
1. The battery would connect to the buss also.
2. The solar controller would connect to it.
3. The battery charger would connect to it.
4. The anchor windlass.
5. A selector switch.
6. Then run a cable to the nav station (where the electrical panel is) to a blade fuse panel

Some can share the same post on the buss?

Then a cable to it would run to a blade fuse block at the nav station that would be mounted in back by the breaker panel.

And by the way thanks for taking the time to help me, you guys\gals are great. Are you ready to tell me to go buy a book yet, but I feel I am so close to getting it!