Gel Batteries: How to charge them - SailNet Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-16-2010 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Gel Batteries: How to charge them

Whats going on, Guys?

I have recently picked up couple of 12 v gel batteries. I am not sure if I can replace my old wornout starter cranking batteries with the gel batteries. I am affraid to burn and over charge my gel baterries with the alternator(picture atttached). Also, while they are out, can I charge them with this portable charger( Picasa Web Albums - Yuriy Tymoshenko - Gel Batteries )?
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0169.jpg  
ukrsindicat is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-16-2010
Señor Member
 
PorFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrsindicat View Post
Whats going on, Guys?

I have recently picked up couple of 12 v gel batteries. I am not sure if I can replace my old wornout starter cranking batteries with the gel batteries. I am affraid to burn and over charge my gel baterries with the alternator(picture atttached). Also, while they are out, can I charge them with this portable charger( Picasa Web Albums - Yuriy Tymoshenko - Gel Batteries )?
Dobro dan, Yuriy!

What's your existing set up? Just the cranking battery? The cranking battery + a house bank? If you already have a house bank, what type are they?

The gel's should charge OK with either the alternator or the battery charger. That said, mixing gel, wet cell or AGM's in an integrated system is generally a bad idea. The charge acceptance rates differ, and you won't be able to make full use of the different types of batteries.

I think a more relevant question would be whether or not replacing a dedicated cranking battery with a couple of deep cycle batteries is the best course of action.

A cranking battery is designed to discharge a lot of juice for a very short amount of time. A deep cycle battery is best used to discharge a little juice for extended periods of time.
PorFin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 9 Old 11-16-2010
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 711
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Gel batteries, from what I've been reading of late, actually need to be charged to just under 15 volts, so conventional charging systems start costing you money from the moment you start using a gel. Each recharge falls short of capacity, and this reduces lifespan. Anyway. The guys that make the BatteryTender products have telling info on the subject and a full line of products to properly do the job.
seabreeze_97 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2010
Senior Member
 
Maine Sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,827
Thanks: 19
Thanked 213 Times in 162 Posts
Rep Power: 16
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97 View Post
Gel batteries, from what I've been reading of late, actually need to be charged to just under 15 volts, so conventional charging systems start costing you money from the moment you start using a gel. Each recharge falls short of capacity, and this reduces lifespan. Anyway. The guys that make the BatteryTender products have telling info on the subject and a full line of products to properly do the job.
Really, 15 volts, which gels are those?

Gel batteries need very specific charge parameters or they can easily be ruined. Treated well they can be some of the longest lasting but they are a pain to manage without the proper charger or regulator.

The "gel" is an addition of silica which makes the electrolyte about the consistency of thick jelly. If you over charge these batteries you can ruin them in short order. You can actually create blisters or voids in the electrolyte that lead to the demise of the battery.

Most gels like to charge at a max of about 14.1 volts where wet cells and AGM's can be charged at higher voltages 14.2-14.8 +/-. It is best to check the charge parameters of your specific battery chemistry with the manufacturer as each manufacturer recommends different charge voltages for their products. Some can take higher charge voltages than others and some lower.

Using a car charger on gels can certianly ruin them. That Leece-Neville alternator regulator is likely factory set to 14.4V so it too would not be a suitable charger for gel batteries, if you want to get your money's worth.

For example here is what the Deka Dominator Gel's need for charge voltage:

From Deka/East Penn:

"For 12-volt batteries, charge to at least 13.8 volts but no more than 14.1 volts at 68°F (20°C)."


Most any "dumb" charger will put out more than 14.1 volts and usually more like 14.4-14.6 volts and some even higher..

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.


Maine Sail is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2010
Señor Member
 
PorFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Really, 15 volts, which gels are those?

Gel batteries need very specific charge parameters or they can easily be ruined. Treated well they can be some of the longest lasting but they are a pain to manage without the proper charger or regulator.

The "gel" is an addition of silica which makes the electrolyte about the consistency of thick jelly. If you over charge these batteries you can ruin them in short order. You can actually create blisters or voids in the electrolyte that lead to the demise of the battery.

Most gels like to charge at a max of about 14.1 volts where wet cells and AGM's can be charged at higher voltages 14.2-14.8 +/-. It is best to check the charge parameters of your specific battery chemistry with the manufacturer as each manufacturer recommends different charge voltages for their products. Some can take higher charge voltages than others and some lower.

Using a car charger on gels can certianly ruin them. That Leece-Neville alternator regulator is likely factory set to 14.4V so it too would not be a suitable charger for gel batteries, if you want to get your money's worth.

For example here is what the Deka Dominator Gel's need for charge voltage:

From Deka/East Penn:

"For 12-volt batteries, charge to at least 13.8 volts but no more than 14.1 volts at 68°F (20°C)."


Most any "dumb" charger will put out more than 14.1 volts and usually more like 14.4-14.6 volts and some even higher..
I'd like the record to show that I retract my earlier testimony in light of the better data presented by my far more learned and esteemed sailor as shown above.
PorFin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 9 Old 11-16-2010 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
I currently have two marine starter batteries that I received with the boat, when I originally purchased her. However those batteries are old(2005) and/or abused. Well, likely rather abused since 5 years is a short life for a batteries. The other day, I went out sailing. I turn the cabin light on for 30 sec. Two hours later I reach to start the engine, and starter went: "Click". Luckly, I had one of my gels that I temporary tied up to the engine(I unhooked it as soon as I get back).

I have 3 gel batteries that I planning on using as the house batteries. I am doing mostly coastal sailing, so 3 gels (57 amh each) should be good to run my VHF, stereo, nav lights and cabin lights. I thought about replacing my current starter batteries with the dual purpose marine batteries. That way I will have more Amh out in sea and will be able to have enough juice to crank the engine.

Thanks, Gents!
Spasibo!
ukrsindicat is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 9 Old 11-16-2010
Señor Member
 
PorFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Yuriy,

Following up on MaineSail's post, you should take a close look at your entire charging set up. Given the rather sensitive tolerances, you should look at a "smart" regulator to keep that alternator from frying the gels. Likewise, a 110v charger that can be adjusted to output the proper voltage.

Perhaps MaineSail can render a little additional advice?

Vcevo dobrovo!
PorFin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 9 Old 11-18-2010
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 711
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
I was thinking of AGMs, not gels.
seabreeze_97 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 9 Old 11-18-2010
Senior Member
 
mitiempo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 7,487
Thanks: 0
Thanked 94 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Below is a section of the Xantrex Truecharge II manual showing voltages for the different types of batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
mitiempo is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running diesel to Charge Batteries LarryandSusanMacDonald Gear & Maintenance 29 09-28-2009 03:28 PM
Not getting enough charge voltage. simple72 Electrical Systems 9 09-16-2009 01:26 AM
Batteries, charge controllers.. groundhog Gear & Maintenance 18 07-16-2009 01:26 PM
To charge or not to charge lyonsian Gear & Maintenance 27 05-13-2007 07:11 PM
Charge regulators Newport41 Gear & Maintenance 2 01-24-2007 04:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome