Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Maine,

I've had the battery monitor on my list of things to buy soon. However, I now am the proud owner of a Xantrex MS2000 Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger and the Xantrex System Control Panel. (Sequitur kindly pointed out that things like a washing machine need a pure sine wave inverter to work.)

The MS2000 has a battery monitor built into it. Do I still need the Victron?

Here's the screen shot that has me wondering.

Secondly, since I now have both the SW2000 and a Freedom 20 inverter charger, and neither are installed, I could do some serious side-by-side tests. Not sure I have time to test every aspect, and I don't have all your meters. That said, is there any test that you'd like me to run, to compare them side-by-side?

I'll be selling the Freedom 20 soon, since the SM2100 was a good-sized boat-buck. Got a bit of buyer's remorse too. I'm hoping the SM2000 is simply fantastic and a worthwhile base to build upon.

Note to all: I thought I got a great deal until I saw the sailnet shop's price. Next time I'm checking here first.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 01-25-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2011
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info
Old 01-25-2011

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Maine Sail has, again, done a tremendous job. As you may know, he's posted this on many message boards. In most of those, I've linked to what I call "The Gotcha Factor" about the logic in the battery monitors algorithms. The default values in the monitors are set up for 200 ah house banks and certain charging voltages, which can be adjusted to suit YOUR boat's system. It especially comes into play if you have a fridge.

Please enjoy: Link-series Charging Algorithms -- The "Gotcha" Factor!
Old 02-09-2011

djwindrifter is on a distinguished road
Why does the battery charger + connect directly to battery?

In your photo, why does the battery charger connect directly to the battery, instead of onto the far side of the battery switch? I've always seen battery chargers connected this way, but I've always wondered whether this is really the right way to do things. Does this change if it's a charger/inverter?

Actually, I guess that brings up a related question: where would other charger sources come into this configuration? So, solar panels, wind generator, the engine alternator: which should connect in front of the battery switch and which would connect behind the battery switch?

How does the placement of these sources affect the power monitoring?
Old 02-09-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwindrifter View Post
In your photo, why does the battery charger connect directly to the battery, instead of onto the far side of the battery switch? I've always seen battery chargers connected this way, but I've always wondered whether this is really the right way to do things. Does this change if it's a charger/inverter?

Actually, I guess that brings up a related question: where would other charger sources come into this configuration? So, solar panels, wind generator, the engine alternator: which should connect in front of the battery switch and which would connect behind the battery switch?

How does the placement of these sources affect the power monitoring?
If your system is wired appropriately none of the charging sources need to be switched. They should all feed direct to the battery un-switched, wind, solar, alt & charger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-09-2011

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Why not read the adjacent "Battery Wiring" topic, too? Battery bank design recommendations Answers and discusses a lot of your questions.
Old 02-09-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwindrifter View Post

Actually, I guess that brings up a related question: where would other charger sources come into this configuration? So, solar panels, wind generator, the engine alternator: which should connect in front of the battery switch and which would connect behind the battery switch? ...
Besides what MaineSail wrote, you can easily break part of your alternator if you disconnect the battery while the engine is running.

Quote:
...How does the placement of these sources affect the power monitoring?
Power monitoring is done on the negative side of the battery, close to the battery terminal. (Because "it just doesn't matter" which side of the battery you measure from, the same number of electrons are flowing out the minus side and into the plus side.) Since it's the only thing connected to the battery terminal, all current must flow through it. So it's not affected by where the charging source is connected. Just don't connect anything else to the negative terminal.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 02-09-2011

djwindrifter is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Maine Sail, Stu, Brad - many thanks, really appreciate all the good information both here and throughout the forums. Many thanks, John
Old 03-03-2011

jakachira is on a distinguished road
Does the BMV600 have a communication port as well? I understand the BMV602 does have one.
Old 03-22-2011

thekeip is on a distinguished road
MS's great tutorial notwithstanding, I have a basic question re battery monitors in general, particularly the "state of charge" function, common to all brands I know of.
I understand (I think) that in order to ascertain how much charge is left in a battery bank...starting from a fully charged battery or bank, one must tell the monitor how big the battery was in the first place...similar to the way the gas gauge works in your car...if you didn't know how much gas the tank could hold, how would you determine when it was half full, for instance.
So suppose you had a house bank of 200 AH. That's the capacity of "the tank" you would program into the monitor and, as energy is consumed, SOC would diminish accordingly and all be well. But what if you decide somewhere along the way you wanted to switch another battery into (or out) of your bank via the 1-2-B switch.
I have a client who does just that. He has a two-battery house bank, a start battery, and an "at large" battery which can be dedicated (by switch) to either house or start function. He likes the sense of redundancy he says this configuration gives him. He makes his decision, where to put the orphan battery, based on the SOC he reads from his monitor.
He brought the boat in complaining that his batteries were unreliable...says his system works all the time that way and there's something wrong with his monitor and would I replace it...and his batteries.
Advice??

Howard Keiper
Berkeley