Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-29-2011
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Battery box for two golf cart batteries

We are in the process of installing a house bank (on our new-to-us Beneteau 411) consisting of four golf cart batteries. Two of the batteries will be located end to end where the factory installed 4D was previously located. We will locate the other two in the aft lazarette (unless we discover a closer location). My question is does anyone know of a battery box that will house two golf cart batteries in a single box? The batteries would ideally be arranged with long axis end to end, but could also be positioned side by side. If end to end, the box would have to be a minimum size of 20-1/2" long X 7-1/8' wide X 11" high.
Pete
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2011

4arch is on a distinguished road
Why not just make one out of plywood? That's going to be one of my spring projects for my boat. I'm planning on building a simple plywood box, reinforcing it with fiberglass strips at the inside corners, and then coating the whole thing in epoxy.
Old 01-29-2011

gbm4th is on a distinguished road
A number of companies make them; Google Dual 6 Volt Battery Box. Defender has one:
Dual Battery Box Holds (2) 6 Volt Batteries
Item # : 201058
Roto-molded from low-density polyethylene plastic
Marine Commercial Grade Battery Box
Manufacturer: The Noco Company
Model Number: HM426

Blue Sea also makes one. Both are a little pricey. I got the Blue Sea off E-Bay at 50% off last year.

George
Old 01-29-2011
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Why not just make one out of plywood? That's going to be one of my spring projects for my boat. I'm planning on building a simple plywood box, reinforcing it with fiberglass strips at the inside corners, and then coating the whole thing in epoxy.
Thanks. That sounds like too much work although on our last boat we actually built a mold and created an all fiberglass box to house all 4 golf cart batteries. We just discovered this site which has boxes for both end to end and side by side golf cart batteries:
Battery Boxes (Battery Related Items) ~ All Battery Sales and Service

The model GCE-G is for end to end and the GC-G is for side by side mount. Both boxes cost $40.65. I don't know anything about the quality of these boxes. Has anyone got experience with them?
Pete
Old 01-29-2011
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm4th View Post
A number of companies make them; Google Dual 6 Volt Battery Box. Defender has one:
Dual Battery Box Holds (2) 6 Volt Batteries
Item # : 201058
Roto-molded from low-density polyethylene plastic
Marine Commercial Grade Battery Box
Manufacturer: The Noco Company
Model Number: HM426

Blue Sea also makes one. Both are a little pricey. I got the Blue Sea off E-Bay at 50% off last year.

George
Thanks George. Yes, there are some that are very pricey in the $85-100 range. The one I just referenced is less than half that, but not sure of the quality.
Pete
Old 01-30-2011

4arch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
Battery Boxes (Battery Related Items) ~ All Battery Sales and Service

The model GCE-G is for end to end and the GC-G is for side by side mount. Both boxes cost $40.65. I don't know anything about the quality of these boxes. Has anyone got experience with them?
Pete
Wow at that price I might have to reconsider my hand-made box. That's probably cheaper than what I'd end up spending for plywood, SS screws and epoxy. If you order one of these boxes, keep us posted as to whether it's any good.
Old 01-30-2011
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Wow at that price I might have to reconsider my hand-made box. That's probably cheaper than what I'd end up spending for plywood, SS screws and epoxy. If you order one of these boxes, keep us posted as to whether it's any good.
Yes, my thought exactly and you don't have to worry about rot, de-lamination, etc. I am now in contact with the manufacturer, Century Plastics, with some questions, so will post here the responses received.
Pete
Old 01-30-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just make sure what ever box you get can support the weight of the batteries in a knockdown or roll over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-30-2011
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Just make sure what ever box you get can support the weight of the batteries in a knockdown or roll over.
Thanks sailingdog. I've got some questions into the manufacturer relative to our marine (sailboat) application. I'll be sure to post their reply. In the meantime, I suspect there are no provisions for attaching box to floor or securing lid. I can probably solve both issues with a pair of heavy duty nylon straps attached to floor that encompasses both base and lid. This seems to be what Beneteau did on their original 4D which we've now replaced. Of course, I'm not sure that Beneteaus are designed for either knockdown or roll over
Pete
Old 01-30-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Note that most off-the-shelf battery boxes are not made to support/secure the battery by themselves; they are meant only to contain spills and give the battery some protection. Securing the battery in place (during heeling, knockdown, or inversion) is usually provided for by a strong strap (or straps), anchored outside of the box and are tightened down over the top of the box cover.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt