Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-21-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Or just give the marina a heads up and ask them to ck other slips make sure they are ok. If and when I ever get back to using marinas I'll be sure to have a tester and or ohm meter on the boat too.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Oh well.. getting back to the shore power side of my boat. it's very low in priority but I would like to do it right. 3 or 4 cabin lights would be more then adequate. Trouble with bulkhead mounted is the shadows. I like ceiling light myself. That means wire raceways of course.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Denise

AC lights?
Old 03-21-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

Not sure at this point Brian, even if it's worth doing for the little use they would have. I just hate being in the dark and boats are dark in general. But then the use of LEDs should help on the 12 volt side of things.

We should not be using battery charging and battery bank use at the same time right? Example, plugging in the onboard charger instead of shore power and using the dome lights. Maybe LED 12 volt dome lights on the ceiling would be the best choice? I'm getting handy with the Weller soldering gun and looking at those LED clusters as a cheap way to improve the dome lights. (eventually)

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 03-21-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2011

I think the best solution is DC lighting throughout. When away from the dock they run on batteries, and at the dock the same with the charger replenishing used AH.

Last edited by mitiempo; 03-21-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-21-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
......We should not be using battery charging and battery bank use at the same time right? Example, plugging in the onboard charger instead of shore power and using the dome lights....
Why not? That's SOP for us.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-21-2011

Myself and everybody I know as well.
Old 03-21-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
We should not be using battery charging and battery bank use at the same time right? ......
I don't think that is possible to avoid, while plugged into shore power.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-21-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Most marine battery chargers are designed to handle running of DC loads whent he batteries are in float stage (as they would be if you're running DC lights while plugged into shore power and your batteries are full). Cheap, bad, or non-marine chargers may mistake this DC load for the battery being in bulk or absorption stage of charging, and that would be bad since it would overcharge your battery.

Also, that polarity reversal switch could be easily replaced with a relay of the same configuration. You could be extra clever and wire the relay coil between the neutral and ground wires. Then, if the polarity is switched, it will energize the coil (exactly the same way the reverse polarity indicator works) which will switch the polarity! No way to forget you left your switch in the wrong position. It probably violates some ABYC codes, so do it at your own risk...
Old 03-24-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

Well, paid a visit to the local "ahem" home center's electrical dept. the plastic race way and components are on the shelf. for now I'm going with 2 GFIs (one in the galley and one in the head) and one cabin light. Someday I'll put a few 12 volt dome lights or 12 volt florescent on the ceiling.

my current "project"!