Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-26-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
How do I bring some found batteries back to life.

I came across a couple 4D batteries and want to see if I can get any life out of them. One measures .24 volts, the other measures 5.24 volts.

Anyone got a clue on what to do, to try to get some use out of them?

I'll probably connect the Victron battery monitor to them (individually) and see if they are taking a charge and give it back. I'm thinking about just giving them an amp for a few days to see if that helps. Is there a secret method?

Regards,
Brad
Yes, sometimes they are truly dead.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 04-26-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Try a battery desulphator?

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Brad,

If you're thinking about putting these on your 50' Beneteau for useful work, forget it! A boat that size ought to have decent, reliable, and known batteries aboard, unless you plan to stay at the dock all season.

If you're just playing, try:

1. giving the batteries a full charge, using a smart battery charger;
2. when they're fully charged, give them an equalizing charge;
3. load test them....put a known load on them for several hours and measure the results;
4. fully charge them again.

Desulfators, IMHO, are a waste of time. So are dead 4D batteries. So are additives. So are all the other innovative and heroic tricks you hear about.

But, hey, if you've got the time and inclination, and there's no maintenance needed on the Bendytoy, why not?

Be careful you don't throw out your back schlepping those monsters around. That could REALLY get to be expensive!

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 04-26-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
1. giving the batteries a full charge, using a smart battery charger;
2. when they're fully charged, give them an equalizing charge;
3. load test them....put a known load on them for several hours and measure the results;
4. fully charge them again.

Desulfators, IMHO, are a waste of time. So are dead 4D batteries. So are additives. So are all the other innovative and heroic tricks you hear about.

But, hey, if you've got the time and inclination, and there's no maintenance needed on the Bendytoy, why not?

Be careful you don't throw out your back schlepping those monsters around. That could REALLY get to be expensive!

Bill
I think you nailed it there, Bill.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 04-26-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

MacG and BT,

Thanks for the advice. I'll try what BT suggests and see how it goes. It's not like it will take much of my time to check. I'll get to test the new inverter/charger and can put the Victron battery monitor on the batteries too.

I'm playing, yes. Since we have gel cells (2x4D batteries) it would take some work to put in an A-B switch. That's time I don't have right now. We leave the marina in 2.5 weeks and I have to install the 12v compressor, copper tubing, etc. And I have never done refrigeration before.

Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 04-26-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2011

badsanta is on a distinguished road
Most battery shops will pay for old batteries. us them as a trade in
Old 04-29-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Update:

I connected battery 1 to my panel using 50 feet of 16 gauge wire. It took 2 amps for a couple hours. Battery 2 took about an amp, I let it charge that way for about an hour. This was merely some preliminary charging until I get a hydrometer and distilled water.

The batteries are very "sloshy". I think the water levels may be very low.

My inverter/charger has an equalize setting that first brings the battery up to full charge. Once I get the water levels up and do the hydrometer checks, I'll put them (individually) on the battery monitor and run the equalize cycle on them.

Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 04-29-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-29-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Brad,

Yeah, I can tell you're just playing :-)

AWG16 is MUCH TOO SMALL for what you're trying to do. With a 50' length (one way), you'd have a voltage drop of 1.2 volts (9%) if the wire were carrying only 3 amps. That means with 13.2 volts from the battery charger you'd only have 12.0 at the battery terminals, and 12.0V isn't enough to charge the batteries no matter how long you leave them "on charge".

Flooded batteries need about 14.4 to 14.8 volts AT THE BATTERY TERMINALS for a bulk charge...the first phase. Then, something on the order of 14.4 volts for an extended period of "absorption", followed by 13.2-13.6 volts for "float"...for a long time.

Equalizing needs 15.5 to 16.5 volts or so...also at the battery terminals. No way you're gonna get near those voltages with such a long run of AWG16 wire.

Bill
Old 04-30-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Thanks Bill. It was meant to be some preliminary charging. I needed to connect a more functinoal shore power charger before I do more anyway. (The 11 year old charger is only putting out about an amp of charging.) I just got the new-to-me inverter charger connected and I'm expecting a big difference once I take the 16 gauge out of the loop.

Today I bought a hydrometer and distilled water. Only looking at battery #1 tonight. One of the cells' fluid level was way down and the others needed a little distilled water to "top off". The battery took about 1/2 gallon of distilled water total. The cells each measured 75 to 95 on the (temperature corrected) hydrometer. That's pretty dead, as would be expected of a battery showing only 5 volts at the terminals.

I've never used a hydrometer before, IIRC. So this is all new to me and some good learning.

Note to Victron battery monitor owners: The history #6 display shows the total amp hours taken OUT of the battery. So I flipped the shunt around and now it's showing me the cumlative amount of amp-hours the I put IN during charging. This ought to be interesting.

Regards,
Brad
Old 05-02-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Here's the verdict:

They are dead, unless someone here tells me I didn't do enough.

I put 50 amp hours into each of them, using a pair of jumper cables that I keep on the boat. Usually it was 3 or 4 amps going in. When I took off the charger, they slowly went to 10.x volts. With only a small load for a few seconds, they went to 9.x volts.

So for a few hours I had a big heater sitting in my salon. The batteries got pretty warm. I know where that 50 amp hours went.

Only down side was some lost time and some gas expense, the cost for distilled water and a hydrometer (added to my collection of tools), and a shop towel that got some sulphuric acid on it (which will to go into the wash once it's dried-out).

If you don't have a Victron battery monitor yet, I highly recommend you get one. It really helped determine exactly what was going on.

Bill, Arf, Mac, BadSanta -- Thank you for all the suggestions.

I didn't use the hydrometer AFTER charging. Anyone think I need to?

Regards,
Brad

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.