Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-16-2011

Mariner777 is on a distinguished road
Where do people secure their battery banks?

Can people post pictures of how and where they mount their battery banks? I am in the process of upgrading my electrical system but am scratching my head on where to put the batteries... Seeing how others have solved this problem will help a lot. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
A lot depends on what type of batteries you're going to be using. AGMs for instance, can be mounted in rather innovative ways that lead acid batteries can't be.

Also, if using lead acid, then you need to have good access for topping them up. Sealed batteries, it isn't as much of a problem.

Another consideration is size of the battery.

Perhaps you could supply those details on what your using, then we could better give some ideas.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 06-16-2011

I have 4 115 amp hour lead acid and one 125 amp hour lead acid may add another 125.

Old 06-16-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
On both Raven and the new girl our batteries are split. Engine is compartment aft right next to the engine itself, house under port settee. I think its good to get the weight amidships.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-16-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Where depends on the boat and space available, hopefully close to the loads like the starter for short runs of heavy cables.

How depends a bit as well. On a fiberglass boat you can glass a flat support in with raised edges to act as a catch tray for spills. The batteries can be strapped to the tray and either totally covered or just the posts.

Or you can buy a suitable battery box and strap it to the tray. The heavy white ones are the best but the standard black ones are fine for the start battery.

Or you could build a box with lid and glass it in place. Any wood used should be epoxy and glass covered.
Old 06-16-2011

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
What boat do you have? There's gotta be someone who has one and who has added batteries before.
Old 06-17-2011

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Right now there's just a pair of group 24s in battery boxes in the forward part of the lazarette on the starboard side of the cockpit.

Anchor's stored in there, too. Since, when we start to cruise, I'm going to want a second, heavier anchor in there, and I'll want at least a pair of group 27 batteries for the house bank, I plan to relocate the house bank to a storage area under the quarter berth on the port side.

I'm only concerned about ventilation. There is none.

Jim
Old 06-23-2011

The boat is a Pearson 10M and the batteries are currently sealed lead acid. I may switch to flooded when these wear out and would prefer to just pretend they were flooded for now. One issue is it might be good to keep some up by the V berth to run fans etc without long extension chords that seem to increase their current draw. On the flip side I try to keep as much weight away from the bow as possible for performance. There are two mounted properly one by the starter and another in the lazarette and the other three are just in battery boxes on the cabin floor at the moment which needs to be changed.

Old 06-23-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The broad generalities with Lead acid batteries is that you want the following;
-Located as near to the engine as you can get them:
-Located near the center of buouyancy in the boat and out of the ends of the boat and as close to the centerline as you can conveniently get them:
-They should be in a compartment which is vented but not to the engine compartment or bilge:
-They should be in a cool location which is not subject to flooding:
-They should be in a location where they are easy to inspect (i.e. good light) and refill with water (i.e. no intrutions over the battery.
-They should have a pan to catch any water and acid that spills during filling or heeling.
-The batteries should be lashed down so that they can't rock around or fall out.

Fans have tiny draw compared to starting the engine, or charging the batteries after a start. Keep the batteries near the engine....

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 06-23-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road

Main battery box, originally designed to accommodate four 6-volt golf-cart batteries, but shown here with 1 group 27 battery. In the upper-right, you can see the separate battery box for the dedicated engine start battery (at the time another group 27).

Here is the box with it's lid on:

It is located right under the companionway ladder

Here two shots of the separate box for the engine start battery, located right next to the starter:

I never did get around to the four 6-volt golf-cart batteries, instead last fall I replaced the single Group 27 with three large Odyssey batteries, for a total of a 300 amp-hour bank:

(FWIW, there is now a box enclosing the engine space, not apparent in these photos)

edit: with the Odyssey batteries (sealed AGM type), I don't strictly need an acid-proof vented box to hold them, but regardless, batteries are heavy (unless you've got LiFePO4 batteries) and need to be well secured to prevent them moving around or coming loose in a knock down.

, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 06-23-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.