Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-21-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
For those who plan on voyaging away from the US be aware that Trojan agents almost anywhere other than the US rape the buyers.

Here's an example: I have read on this board that folks pay US$85 per battery for T105's (and they whine that it's soooo expensive). In New Zealand, they cost about NZ$374 which in today's exchange rate is about US$290. And that ladies and gents, is EACH!!

So when you've done your Pacific crossing and your T105's are tired and you arrive in NZ, stand by to be comprehensively reamed for Trojan replacements.

I use Century Yeasu equivalent (not much less expensive but a little) - mine are now nearly 4 years old and still perfect so I agree with other sentiments on the board - Trojan comes with an international horse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2011

Rozz is on a distinguished road
i think the Trojan held up better to neglect. go with a off name though and do your monthly checks, and i think you will end up almost same life, but quite a bit more life outta ur wallet.

Olsen34- excuse my ignorance..you dont have an isolater for ur house/engine batts? is this common on big banks?
Old 07-21-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
In the early spring I actually had to replace 2, T-105's that were very old. I opted for the Sam's club golf cart batteries. After finding a problem with a negative cable connector things have never been better!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
"Isolating" parts of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
i think the Trojan held up better to neglect. go with a off name though and do your monthly checks, and i think you will end up almost same life, but quite a bit more life outta ur wallet.

Olsen34- excuse my ignorance..you dont have an isolater for ur house/engine batts? is this common on big banks?
This thread has been about the cost/benefit ratio of various brands of GC batteries, but........
"Isolaters" could be the subject for a different thread... and probably has been (and will be into the future).
I still use the 1-2-all stock switch to keep the banks separated. Our house bank is a pair of T-145's and the separate emergency/starting battery is a single 12 volt spiral cell AGM. They are charged together while on shore power. The charger vendor OK'd that, given that the charge curves are similar for flooded and AGM.
Others here may do this differently; their solutions are just as valid as mine.

Cheers,
LB
Old 07-21-2011

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
For those who plan on voyaging away from the US be aware that Trojan agents almost anywhere other than the US rape the buyers.
If you're going to get screwed while abroad, a trojans are a good safety precaution in any event ,

....almost forgot...this is a family-oriented site....back to batteries...

....as most people realize shipping batteries from a factory in the US to far away islands is expensive. Customs duties and VAT will also add to the cost of "imports". I saw a 30% price differential on a battery between two stores in the same store chain but on different islands in the Caribbean, with the lowest price some 25% above what I'd paid for the same battery in the US. I eventually got a replacement Trojan battery from a dealer in the USVI for just a bit more than the US price. The difference was shipping.

If you're headed off cruising to small islands far away and you're batteries are likely to pack it in while you're away, it may make sense to buy new batteries before you leave.

Last edited by billyruffn; 07-21-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
As for shipping batteries, also need to realize that they are considered hazardous materials. All the regulations and fees that go along with that would be added in to the cost. I work in logistics management, laptops are considered hazardous due to the batteries....

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 07-22-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
As for shipping batteries, also need to realize that they are considered hazardous materials. All the regulations and fees that go along with that would be added in to the cost. I work in logistics management, laptops are considered hazardous due to the batteries....
I believe most wet-cell lead acids get shipped without the acid and thus are not hazardous until they are filled and charged at the point of sale.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-19-2011

dkenny is on a distinguished road
is 7yrs normal?
that's short..sorry..but my 8D starting battery I bought in 2005 is still in use..
sure it didn't start out starting small diesel sail boat engines..think 8.2L school bus use.
for the passed 6 yrs..when it wasn't starting, it run a 3KW inverter to run 120V power tools from all day long(engine off)..long story short the bus died..but I moved the battery to full time use running the inverter. its kept charge by solar and AC power..

My dad run Trojan golf cart batteries for more than 10yrs in a golf cart..If I recall it was closer to 20yrs..

so something is going on...
maybe the rocking motion of the boat..its not the pounding..
-dkenny
Old 10-20-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I think 20 years is a stretch for any but traction batteries, but 10 years is a possibility. It depends more on actual cycles than time. As they get older the capacity will drop.
Old 10-20-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I think 20 years is a stretch for any but traction batteries, but 10 years is a possibility. It depends more on actual cycles than time. As they get older the capacity will drop.
Aren't golf cart batteries considered traction batteries?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.