SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Inverter-charger upgrade inquiry - Help Needed! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/76659-inverter-charger-upgrade-inquiry-help-needed.html)

apueJbien 07-22-2011 06:49 PM

Inverter-charger upgrade inquiry - Help Needed!

I've been upgrading my DC electrical system on my 2002 Beneteau 411, which I purchase out of charter. My vessel now has a high output 120 amp Alternator with a smart regulator (ElectroMaxx), a Sterling Power digital isolator, and a digital battery monitor for system management. I've also upgraded my house bank from 200AH to 480AH with the 6V Trojan T-125 batteries. However, I did not upgrade my 20 Amp Dolphin Battery Charger.

My vessel has 220vac electrical but I'd like to add and inverter which could meet my 110 vac needs which are minimal, i.e. computer, cell phones chargers and maybe a microwave, when I'm cruising.

Maybe I'm complicating matters, but the answer I'd like to know if I could install a 120 vac 1800-2000watt/30-40 amp inverter/charger and still maintain and operate the 220 vac system on my boat when I'm on shorepower to run my A/C. This way I can upgrade my battery charger to 40 amps & have the benefit of 120 VAC when I'm cruising. How complicated would such an install be?

mitiempo 07-22-2011 11:31 PM

Yes, you could do it. You will need a 30 amp 120 volt shorepower inlet for the charger-inverter. This would then go to a double pole breaker like this 120V AC Main Circuit Breaker Panels - Blue Sea Systems
and then to the inverter. The inverter AC output can go to any GFI outlets you wish to be 120 volt. These will be totally separate from any other power source.

The DC input to the inverter will need a fuse on the positive input like this ANL Fuses - Blue Sea Systems
and for an inverter of this size 250 amps fuse size and 2/0 wire size.

Thin inverter-charger that meets your 1800 watt -40 amp charge requirements is this one Inverter Charger | Freedom HF Inverter/Charger | Xantrex
Its control panel is designed to be remotely mounted for convenience.

I would keep the Dolphin charger for use in 220 volt countries. It will work fine but will take longer for a given amount of charge.

apueJbien 07-23-2011 12:05 AM

I didn't expect such a detailed and comprehensive reply which hits on all of my concerns. However I have one area which need to be clarified. How does the Freedom Charger tie into the system without interfering with the Dolphin Unitf? Obviously, I'm a laymen/DIY'er.

mitiempo 07-23-2011 12:30 AM

It won't be a problem. For a start, you will not be plugged into 120 and 240 volts at the same time so only one could be active at any time. It wouldn't be a problem anyway, one would default to the other, same as if you have solar and a shorepower charger at the same time.

Glad I could help.

apueJbien 07-23-2011 01:06 AM

I'll be working on this installation in early Sept, and will reach out if I have a problem. Thanks!

mitiempo 07-23-2011 02:14 AM

You're welcome.