Join Date: Oct 2006
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Severely discharged battery...does it need to be replaced?
Perhaps a better question is, how do I tell if it needs to be replaced?
Here's what happened. I'm religious about turning off the battery switch--everything completely off--when I leave the boat (bilge pump is direct). Except this one time I forgot. Yeah, I'm irritated with myself, but there's nothing I can do about it now.
One battery was left on via the main selector switch, and there was some load on it due to some electronics on from the DC panel (argh). A whole week went by, and the battery was tanked. On the voltmeter, it read about 10 volts--eek!
I don't have a battery charger, in case you haven't guessed. So I brought a portable smart charger from home, disconnected the battery, and recharged. It's currently reads 13.04 volts on my multimeter, and seems to be holding.
Some other facts: the battery is an Interstate deep cycle battery, 12v.
OK, so having said all that, and still being irritated that I left that switch (and electronics) on, how do I know for sure that the battery is still usable, or if it needs to be replaced? I'd rather not just go with trial and error on the water, since I'd like to know I can depend on it.
Thanks for your suggestions!
1984 Sabre 34 Mk I