Best way to connect all charging sources to the house bank without making spaghetti? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-13-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
This is really interesting...and a bit distressing because the amp ratings on these things seem to be largely meaningless. Why not call a 300 amp fuse a 300 amp fuse???? It seems a little silly (and dangerous) to call a fuse that will NEVER blow before 440 amps a 300 amp fuse. I have always ass-u-med that these physical fuses, in contrast to a circuit breaker, would be MORE accurate when matching wire sizes to circuit protection. It's like saying it's ok to put a 30a fuse on a #12 wire in your house--not a good idea.

The starter on my Yanmar 3GM30F has a current rating (from service manual) of "460a. or less" under a load, although looking at the torque curve, it appears that above 8v. it would never draw>350a. Even a 400a fuse would be cutting it close which is why I have a 500a ANL in place at present which will , in actuality only help for a dead short. Now...if a 500 amp fuse is ACTUALLY a 600 amp fuse, maybe I can knock it down to 400 amps (or even 275 if the chart is accurate), still well above 2/0 wire ratings but a bit less likely to melt off insulation in a partial short.

This is all a good reason to use additional conduit (as I mentioned above) to protect starter wires. If these things weren't so expensive, I'd like to experiment with them to get some real results.

Last edited by smurphny; 09-13-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
With starter wiring you are really fusing for short circuit protection - and in that case the fuse will blow. I don't think overload is an issue as the starter is only used for 5 or 10 seconds at a time. The same really goes for main battery fusing as well.

Like Maine I have blown an ANL fuse by mistake. Did just what it was supposed to do.

From Blue Seas:
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to connect all charging sources to the house bank without making spaghetti?-1.jpg  
Old 09-13-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
With starter wiring you are really fusing for short circuit protection - and in that case the fuse will blow. I don't think overload is an issue as the starter is only used for 5 or 10 seconds at a time. The same really goes for main battery fusing as well.

Like Maine I have blown an ANL fuse by mistake. Did just what it was supposed to do.

From Blue Seas:
My sentiments exactly. That's why I have the starter fuse well over sized: In case I drop a wrench across or something breaks and spans across + to -. Pretty much any fuse will blow in those situations if physically smaller than the wire.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
charging system , house bank , wiring