Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Updating DC System

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
My post could be confusing. I agree it's spelt "busbar" or "bus bar". However, it is not spelt bussbar, or buss bar. That was intended to be my point.

If we are to follow the normal conventions, it should ideally be "bus-bar".

I think I'm going to start calling it the omnibus-bar.
I understand what it means no matter how it is spelled. I kind of like omnibus-bar..

It's kind of like the folks who insist it is a cutless bearing yet the word Cutless® is a registered trademark of Duramax Marine® LLC.. The words stave, sleeve or cutlass bearing are the accepted generic terms.

Most people would have no clue what you are talking about if you used the word stave bearing but if you say cutlass everyone knows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Mark, how about "spelt"? In this country, for the last 100 plus years, Spelt refers to a form of wheat...
Old 01-23-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Mark, how about "spelt"? In this country, for the last 100 plus years, Spelt refers to a form of wheat...

I sospect he prolly spelt it dat weigh on porpose....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-23-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I insist on continuing to use British English, despite having lived here for 14 years, on the basis that it might eventually catch on.

Spelled vs. spelt - Grammarist

Omnibus-bar fits in well with my policy of referring to the radio as the wireless, bicycle as velocipede, airplane as flying machine, and so on.

Last edited by MarkSF; 01-23-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

And here I thought a bus bar was the way to go barhopping without putting your beer down in between the bars.

Merriam-Webster....Is that like citing Barack Obama as an expert on helath insurance schemes?
Old 01-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Merriam-Webster....Is that like citing Barack Obama as an expert on helath insurance schemes?
Probably about as good as quoting Wikipedia......

Old 01-23-2014

Boomer is on a distinguished road

Hi Maine Sail,

Thank you for the input. On my question #1 related to battery disconnect switches, I was assuming (I know.. I know...) that I would need to add a new disconnect (on/off) switch for each bank. The marine surveyor wrote "A single wire should lead from each battery bank to disconnect switch. That wire should be fused with slow blow fuse rated for wire gauge. All other wires should come off of buss bar aft of disconnect switch." I assumed he meant a separate disconnect switch for each bank close to the batteries before the busbars, and not the 1/2/Both/Off switch which will disconnect the batteries from the DC distribution panel but not isolate the batteries from the positive busbars and loads / chargers shown in ctj1950's wiring diagram. Am I misreading this requirement? I can add the on/off switches if needed.

Thanks too for the information about the Universal M-18 Alternator bracket. More work to do.

And to ctj1950... thanks for the diagram.. and fyi... my boat is on the hard in Mayo, MD... moving to Deale, MD in the spring. That close to you???

Thanks again.

Boomer
Catalina 27 #5688

PS... I didn't mean to start a grammar war!
Old 01-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hi Maine Sail,

Thank you for the input. On my question #1 related to battery disconnect switches, I was assuming (I know.. I know...) that I would need to add a new disconnect (on/off) switch for each bank. The marine surveyor wrote "A single wire should lead from each battery bank to disconnect switch. That wire should be fused with slow blow fuse rated for wire gauge. All other wires should come off of buss bar aft of disconnect switch." I assumed he meant a separate disconnect switch for each bank close to the batteries before the busbars, and not the 1/2/Both/Off switch which will disconnect the batteries from the DC distribution panel but not isolate the batteries from the positive busbars and loads / chargers shown in ctj1950's wiring diagram. Am I misreading this requirement? I can add the on/off switches if needed.

Thanks too for the information about the Universal M-18 Alternator bracket. More work to do.

And to ctj1950... thanks for the diagram.. and fyi... my boat is on the hard in Mayo, MD... moving to Deale, MD in the spring. That close to you???

Thanks again.

Boomer
Catalina 27 #5688

PS... I didn't mean to start a grammar war!
You do not need additional ON/OFF switches on top of the 1/2/BOTH.... The only devices before the battery switch are items like the alternator, which should ideally be fused and ideally have it's own "service disconnect", perhaps a VHF, your bilge pump and any ACR or Echo type charger. On bigger boats and inverter may tie in before the batt switch, but should have its own ON/OFF and a windlass or thruster may as well..... Anything tied in before the batts switch should have sufficient over current protection.

Battery fuses should be ANL, MRBF or Class T....

Old 01-23-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

... or disk drive vs disc drive (which was IBM's term)

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 01-23-2014

Boomer is on a distinguished road

Hey cjt1950... Thanks for the crimper usage offer. I cannot respond via private message yet... I've not made enough posts yet apparently. As FYI... my boat will be at the same location in April. So will have to look you up sometime.

Take care,

Boomer