Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-05-2011

pogosmoke is on a distinguished road
outboard alt kit/rectifier questions

I recently bought a 25 cc and it has a 9.8 2006 4stroke. I would like to upgrade the electrical system from a single battery charge at dock system to something more capable to handle small tv/laptop/ more lighting/ possibly a small heater. I can purchase a alt kit and a rectifier kit for the outboard for about $150 could I hook this to maybe a 3 12v parallels battery bank with an inverter and have a good capable self charging electrical system? Or should I just by a Honda gen? Which would cost a lot more.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2011

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Pogo,

You gotta do the math as to how many amp hours you will be consuming and producing. I googled the alt kits you mentioned. The one I saw looked like it put out about 7 amps. That would probably be enough to help power a laptop or small flat screen tv. As to the lights and heater, I would convert to led lights and a propane heater.

You don't say how you use your boat. If it's just weekend trips, I'd go for the kit. If it's a liveaboard, I'd spring for the honda generator. Also, have you checked that your outboard doesn't already charge the battery and doesn't need an add on kit?

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Old 11-06-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
The outboard will put some back in BUT is not going to be able to keep up with big loads and even the generator would have to run a LONG time

Normally you would do and energy budget and make the house bank big enough to last your weekend needs and recharge back at the dock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2011

pogosmoke is on a distinguished road
It would just be for weekends. So if I have say 4 deep cell golf cart batteries fully charged and the kit for the outboard do you think I would have enough juice for a night or two? On the propane heater these are safe for enclosed areas? No carbon monoxide issues?
Old 11-10-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Forget the electric heater idea. Propane or alcohol or some other fuel is the way to go. A bank of four golf cart batteries is too large for an outbard charging system. A single group 27 or 31 deep cycle should be plenty for running a few lights, small TV and laptop for a weekend. If you can start with a fully charged battery, the outboard kit will help keep the battery reasonably charged. For longer trips, note it will take a number of hours to bring it up to full charge if signficantly discharged.
Old 11-11-2011
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
make your own for less than $5-- my tohatsu has the coils already installed, and their $300 charging kit is essentially one of these:

25A, 50V Full-Wave Bridge Rectifiers - RadioShack.com