Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
I don't see you need a closed circuit in the usual sense for a static discharge into capacitive body. It simply is a pile of electrons trying to get to somewhere they are not. Need measured in volts, flow measured in coulombs per sec or milli amps and the body they run into in farads WE all need a good jolt now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
I'm just using some imagination here. I'll try to put together a circuit to test my theory.

The bow light short and the binnacle short might be the following.
Bare hot wire touches stainless tube.
Stainless tube is connected by bonding or another bare wire that may have been that way for months.
Current flows through circuit that includes the stainless but with sufficient resistance to prevent the breaker from blowing. Don't forget if you connect a wire directly from positive to negative on the battery the wire will melt unless there is a fuse or breaker which opens instead. There has to be enough resistance so fewer amps flow through the circuit than the rating of the fuse.
You put your wet hand on the stainless and if the resistance of your hand is lower than the stainless the current flows through your hand producing the shock.

To test this I have to get a length of metal and wire it in a circuit, hopefully with a fuse for safety and see if I can get a shock with one hand.
I have an old bent boom, not sure I have any stainless, will have to look.
Old 12-08-2011

bgeddes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't see you need a closed circuit in the usual sense for a static discharge into capacitive body. It simply is a pile of electrons trying to get to somewhere they are not. Need measured in volts, flow measured in coulombs per sec or milli amps and the body they run into in farads WE all need a good jolt now and then.
A coulomb per second is equal to an ampere.

The static is has enough voltage to overcome the dielectric constant of a distance of air. The higher the static charge, the further it will jump to provide the aforementioned shock. The circuit is complete, part of it is air.
Old 12-09-2011
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuchforwriting View Post
If anyone has a better explanation how my hand “completed the circuit” I’d like to hear it.
Yes, you have to complete the circuit ... but with static electricity, the rather simple circuit terminus are two oppositely charged bodies - you, on the one hand and the doorknob/bow rail/binnacle on the other.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 12-09-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Hm. I usually take the term "circuit" to mean a closed loop. A single static discharge doesn't involve a closed loop.

An electrical potential difference between two points will drive a current between those two points, regardless of whether the two points are on a closed loop.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.