Getting shocked with engine running - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 105 Old 11-18-2011 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Diesel engine and no autopilot
Augsbut is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 105 Old 11-18-2011
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,159
Thanks: 9
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
12 volts can not only shock you, it can kill you .... its the amperage that does the damage not the voltage. Your 12 volt starter probably draws about 400amps and your alternator could probaly push out 20 - 50 amps depending on what you have. It takes milliamps to cause paralysis. You have a short somewhere and this is one of those times you should hire a qualified marine electrician and not rely on "dock talkers"
jimrafford likes this.

Dirt People Scare me
boatpoker is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #13 of 105 Old 11-18-2011
..........huh?..
 
Izzy1414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Grants Pass,OR
Posts: 395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Possibly static electricity and not wiring related at all? Heck, maybe it's just a different pair of shoes.

S/V Boccata d'Aria

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Izzy1414 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #14 of 105 Old 11-18-2011
the pointy end is the bow
 
erps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Conner, Washington
Posts: 6,260
Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 10
   
Quote:
12 volts can not only shock you, it can kill you
I can touch the positive terminal and negative terminal of a 600 amp battery bank. How come I don't get shocked? And why am I still alive?

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
erps is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #15 of 105 Old 11-18-2011
Senior Member
 
mitiempo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 7,500
Thanks: 0
Thanked 96 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Was there any AC on at the time? Inverter?

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
mitiempo is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #16 of 105 Old 11-18-2011
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,444
Thanks: 59
Thanked 68 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Twelve volts isn't going to shock you.Bill
Obviously you have never set the timing on an old style ignition distributor.

I have been zapped more than once by a leaky spark plug lead when twisting the distributor. It was comparable to what hits you when you get tickled by a defective 110 outlet or switch.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #17 of 105 Old 11-18-2011
Member
 
bgeddes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Quote:
12 volts can not only shock you, it can kill you
Based on the resistance of skin on the average person, that statement is not true. If the 12 volts is applied to a more conductive part of the body, mucus membranes or an open wound, perhaps it could do some harm.

The National Electrical Code has designated high voltage at over 40 volts. The place where most people could experience a shock or induce the flow of current through the skin.

That said, I fully advocate seeking professional or qualified assistance in any area someone feels a lack of understanding.

For the OP's original question, more information about the circumstance will be required.
bgeddes is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #18 of 105 Old 11-18-2011
Senior Member
 
mitiempo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 7,500
Thanks: 0
Thanked 96 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Obviously you have never set the timing on an old style ignition distributor.

I have been zapped more than once by a leaky spark plug lead when twisting the distributor. It was comparable to what hits you when you get tickled by a defective 110 outlet or switch.

That is not 12 volts.
Attached Thumbnails
5.jpg  

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
mitiempo is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #19 of 105 Old 11-18-2011
Senior Member
 
AdamLein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SF Bay area
Posts: 1,917
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Obviously you have never set the timing on an old style ignition distributor.

I have been zapped more than once by a leaky spark plug lead when twisting the distributor. It was comparable to what hits you when you get tickled by a defective 110 outlet or switch.
I'm pretty sure that ignition systems work by accumulating a very large potential difference across a high-resistance medium (the spark gap). The voltage in a spark plug is way over 12V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker
12 volts can not only shock you, it can kill you .... its the amperage that does the damage not the voltage.
That's true, but first the current has to get past the resistance of your skin, which requires high voltage.

s/v Laelia - 1978 Pearson 365 ketch
s/v Essorant - 1972 Catalina 27
AdamLein is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #20 of 105 Old 11-18-2011
Senior Member
 
mitiempo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 7,500
Thanks: 0
Thanked 96 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
I work with 12 volts and batteries all the time and I have never got a hint of a buzz - even when I was holding an non-insulated wrench that arced to a ground.

If you shorted a battery terminal and held it long enough it would get hot - I didn't.

Now 120 volts - you notice that.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
mitiempo is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help! Rough running engine adamavis Gear & Maintenance 2 07-17-2010 01:58 PM
Engine still not running / need advice mauidan15 Gear & Maintenance 13 05-04-2008 12:17 PM
engine still not running mauidan15 Gear & Maintenance 18 04-29-2008 11:44 PM
I'm Shocked!! Captsomer Gear & Maintenance 21 03-07-2008 10:09 PM
Engine running too cool JMS02050 Gear & Maintenance 8 09-01-2007 09:16 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome