SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Shore power vs battery while at slip (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/85253-shore-power-vs-battery-while-slip.html)

sailingcal21 03-21-2012 11:49 AM

Shore power vs battery while at slip

Except for the AC, Microwave, etc, I generally run everything else off the batteries relying on the chargers to keep them up. Is that a bad practice with regard to battery life and maintenance?

The batteries are flooded 6V Trogans (240AH), along with a standard deep cycle as a backup. They are charged by a shore powered 12A dual bank unit as well as a solar panel with dual bank charge controller that's typically putting out 1.5 amps. Both chargers are 3 stage type chargers. I'm comfortable that I have enough capacity to maintain charged batteries while on shore power. I generally am a weekender sailor.

DRFerron 03-21-2012 12:03 PM

Re: Shore power vs battery while at slip

Why would you not use shore power if it's available? Curious as to your reasoning.

blt2ski 03-21-2012 12:09 PM

If one does not have any 110 items on board the boat, 110 is not always needed. ALL my lights are 12V, I personally do not know what a coffee maker, AC or a microwave is.......

While I will plug in while docked, it is for nothing more than keeping the house/starting battery charged.

Marty

remetau 03-21-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingcal21 (Post 848566)
Except for the AC, Microwave, etc, I generally run everything else off the batteries relying on the chargers to keep them up. .

If everything else is 12v, how else would you do it? I regularly turn my charger off to work the batteries.

btrayfors 03-21-2012 02:33 PM

Scott,

Yes, what you're doing is just fine.

Bill

SVAuspicious 03-21-2012 02:37 PM

My boat is basically a 12VDC boat. I do have a diesel generator I can use to charge batteries offshore and to run air con away from the dock. Everything else except my stick blender and vacuum sealer is 12VDC. All good.

I'm not sure I would have been so adamant about sticking to 12VDC if I was only sailing on weekends, but we each make our own choices.

sailingcal21 03-21-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 848569)
Why would you not use shore power if it's available? Curious as to your reasoning.

Biggest reason is to not have a separate lighting system for shore power use. While a guest on some boats, I've seen small florescent and other 110vac type fixtures which lead me to ponder the question.

Thanks for the replies, I was just doing a sanity check to make sure that I wasn't missing anything concerning a battery maintenance issue.

Scott

hellosailor 03-21-2012 11:15 PM

Scott, if your 12v loads are light enough so that the charger is really powering them and the batteries are just watching the show, then there's no downside to doing it that way.

OTOH if your loads are actually pulling down the batteries, that's still using up discharge cycles. In which case I'd just beef up the charger to prevent that.

How does the Bob Marley song go? "No AC, No Cry..." ? :-)

tomperanteau 03-21-2012 11:22 PM

I too sometimes run off 12v only while at the marina. Good idea to test systems for going off shore.

mitiempo 03-21-2012 11:29 PM

I live aboard and everything aboard (except 120 volt items like toaster) - lights, water pump, etc are 12 volt. Charger keeps the batteries up. All live aboards I know do the same.