Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maine Sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Breaker for AC

I installed a Blue Seas main AC panel on a boat today. I thought some might want to see the original innovative arrangement. Single pole 30 amp in a metal candy box. Protecting a 15 amp circuit. Oh, and it was lying in the bilge.
Attached Thumbnails
Breaker for AC-1.jpg   Breaker for AC-2.jpg   Breaker for AC-3.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Re: Breaker for AC

A great use for an Altoids box!
Old 04-19-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Gotta love the Altoids tin!

I build my ten volt reference source into a mini Altoids tin. Cheaper to buy it filled with Altoids than to buy panel boxes, and more fun to eat, too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Not much surprises me any more but that one definitely takes the "creative" cake..

This one was "engine cranks slowly".... Vice Grips are NOT crimpers, especially for a wire with upwards of 3000A of current behind it... A tug of less than about 12-14 pounds of force pulled it right out... A "proper" crimp on wire this size should easily lift the entire weight of two to three grown men or more.....

This was a single hose clamp on a leaking sink drain seacock... But hey that hardware store clamp saved him twenty seven cents....

Batteries mounted far to low in the boat and "submerging"...

This incorrect use of a "dimple" crimper left a live dangling 12V wire....

Plastic wire tie in engine space failed. Lucky this boat had battery bank fusing.

Soldered connection failed at the hard spot from solder creep and brittleness. This left a hot wire in the bilge which then ate through every seacock, thruhull and the boats outdrive and it finally sank......

You can still see some remains of the crimp terminal. These soldered wires also were left dangling due to an improper termination..

These devices are NOT safe for the current people try to pull through them on boats. This one nearly caught fire but the connection failed shortly before that happened. Factory installed fuse on the inverter never failed.
Silvio likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-19-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Every used boat i have owned i found it MUCH cheeper and faster to just chuck it and start over as it was endless

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-20-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

By "These devices are NOT safe for " I take it you mean all Chinese electronics, rather than small inverters.

What you see as a problem with the fuse not blowing, I see as some engineer's attempt to prove you CAN "fix stupid". With some collateral damage, but that's unavoidable.
Old 04-20-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
By "These devices are NOT safe for " I take it you mean all Chinese electronics, rather than small inverters.

What you see as a problem with the fuse not blowing, I see as some engineer's attempt to prove you CAN "fix stupid". With some collateral damage, but that's unavoidable.
I simply do not feel 150+W 12V outlet inverters are safe for marine applications and I strongly urge customers to avoid them. The sockets on most boats get soo corroded they can't pass 2A safely let alone 15A. Most 12V sockets sold in chandleries are rated at just 10A anyway and a few are rated at 15A. A 150W inverter at 80% efficiency can pull about 15A. With corrosion on the tip, which is a VERY SMALL contact area, they get hot and melt like the one below. This is the third melted 12V outlet inverter I have come across. Usually the owner saying "Hey can you put a my inverter back together the tip unscrewed and I can't get back together?" They can't get it back together because the plastic has melted and distorted.

On one boat the guy was running a 400W inverter through 14GA wire and a 25A breaker at the panel. Wire was melted and kept tripping the breaker........

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.