Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2012

liveincolor is on a distinguished road
What is the purpose of this unit (picture) on my boat ?

Hi, I'm in the process of figuring out all the wiring on my boat, tracing wires, checking connections etc. But I have a few questions. The starboard locker in which my battery belongs has two connectors for the positive and negative terminals, obviously, but I'm curious about something...each connector has two wires connected, the negative connector has a black and white wire, and the positive connector has a red and green wire, out of curiosity, why is this so and what purpose does it serve having two wires per terminal ?

This leads me to my next question, those four wires (black, white, & red, green) all lead from the battery, under the cockpit and to the port side locker to a small unit mounted inside the locker wall (pictured). As you can see, the aforementioned wires all connect to this "splitter" looking device on the left side of the unit (the top most grey wire is spliced to the red wire). On the right side of the said "splitter" are seperate wires that run ahead to the cabin and are split between a D/c outlet and the fuse box. My question is, what is that "splitters" purpose and why do the wires lead to it, before they run to the cabin ?
Attached Thumbnails
What is the purpose of this unit (picture) on my boat ?-port-splitter.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: What is the purpose of this unit (picture) on my boat ?

Looks like a simple terminal block to me.. perhaps misused as it has AC labeling (L1/L2) that would be meaningless if indeed attached to your 12VDC batteries.

I'd say it's just a wiring junction, the wrong wire colours have been used, and it was intended for another application (doesn't mean it won't 'work')

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-20-2012

hmm, is there any reason someone would send the wires from the starboard side to port just so they can be junctioned before leading to the cabin ? You said "misused", but is there any reason to feel it is unsafe ?
Old 04-20-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

some one used an AC terminal block for sure. The reason (guessing) they ran 2 sets of wires is to get away from running one large wire. what it was used for? anyone's guess. Maybe a 12 volt refrigerator? External batter charger? What ever it was, it's worthless and potentially dangerous since someone may think it's 120 volt and do something really stupid.
Gotta love the taped wires too! NOT!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Black, white, and green are the three usual colors in US 120V AC wiring. Green for ground, black for hot, white for neutral.

And if it is part of the AC wiring it shouldn't be running to the battery.

You might want to double check that and see where the other ends run to. It they are not connected to anything--clean it all out. If they DO connect to something...that might help puzzle it out.
Old 04-20-2012

My electrical system is exclusively 12V. Once those four wires are led to the cabin they connect to a terminal block. Two wires go directly to a 12V outlet, the other two go to the battery switch and then to another terminal block before going to the fuse panel. I'm starting to get nervous about this system, shouldn't the 12V outlet have a fuse connected to it ? Thankfully I've only plugged a 100W inverter to this outlet with its own built in fuse, but I've heard they don't always work properly.
Old 04-20-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

While what you have is not an example of good practice, at 12v it's not likely to be too dangerous - esp if this is just a re-purposed terminal block. The labeling is confusing, but that could be changed.

Ideally, however, this could/should be replaced with proper marine wiring and equipment; and one has to wonder if that particular junction is even necessary?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-20-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

You could just peel the label off... there really is no difference between a 12v DC and 110vAC "terminal block"...
Old 04-20-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

12v outlets should be fused, ;like anything else. But from the handy terminal block and the household AC wiring, I'd guess the PO grabbed what was handy.

Nervous...well, if it didn't burn down yet and you don't overload anything, it should be OK. At least until you can trace things out and do them up to a higher standard.

12v "cigar" lighter sockets come in a wide range of quality, some work very well. You can replace the wire with a proper run of red/black duplex wire (actually, yellow/red these days) and an inline fuse, or run things through a panel, as suits.
Old 04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
12v outlets should be fused, ;like anything else. But from the handy terminal block and the household AC wiring, I'd guess the PO grabbed what was handy.

Nervous...well, if it didn't burn down yet and you don't overload anything, it should be OK. At least until you can trace things out and do them up to a higher standard.

12v "cigar" lighter sockets come in a wide range of quality, some work very well. You can replace the wire with a proper run of red/black duplex wire (actually, yellow/red these days) and an inline fuse, or run things through a panel, as suits.
The first thing I'd like to do, as you say, is run the duplex to the 12V socket with a fuse inline, as I see that link being the weakest of weak links in my electrical system. While I'm at it I'm going to get a new higher quality socket. Is there a standard maximum draw these cigar lighter sockets supply, or does it depend on the make ? Some quick research keeps showing me 15a at 12v.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.