Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-23-2012
John

Wanderer2011 is on a distinguished road
Electrical upgrade (batteries)

Good day,
Need some advise, I will be doing a rewire of my boat to include adding additional batteries? I have worked up an electrical load plan, for day trips and weekend trips (undocked). I have figured two SCS200 Trojan batteries 115AH each in a bank (load would be approx 34AH day/42AH night).

Boat: C27Tall with Universal M18 Deisal.

Now my question,
1. With my bank setup as House/Reserve do I use House battery for starting.
2. Or would you suggest a separate battery for starting (not use House/Reserve Bank).

1 Battery Switch vs. 2 battery switches, no big deal.

I will be relocating batteries based on this decision, current setup one battery in cabin Starboard side. If Bank plus Starter battery then Started would stay, bank moves to Port side. If just battery bank, then batteries stay in original location. Just to balance the weight some, since water tank is also on Starboard side.

The charger I have will charge 3 separate battery banks, but Iíll only use two, 1 for (H/R) bank and 1 for starter battery (if separate setup). For the bank I do have an Echo charger for it.

Thanks in advance, this site and its members have been a great resource of knowledge and help.

John
82 C27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road
Re: Electrical upgrade (batteries)

I like a separate starter battery since they are smaller and less expensive. I use a Dou Charger (like the Echo) for maintaining the charge on the starter. I then use a battery switch to switch over to the house if I have to for starting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
2 battery switches, 2 batteries. There's a number of deep cycle batteries that are dual purpose. You can always use one or the other to start or to run the house.
Old 05-23-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

There is another post going on about this. Think it is in cruising/LA, but will see if I can find it.

The cheapest route is two large house batts with each one on a separate setting for batt switch (1 on batt switch 1, 1 on batt switch 2). Up to you how you use it, but many sailors use one for when under sail, one for starting. Some also change the battery setinng based every day to alternate them and keep an eye on voltage for when they get low. That is the easiest and cheapest way but requires monitoring.

Second optino as mentioned above is a Echo charger with a larger house bank and a starter battery. House is on 1 and starter on 2 or possibly completely separate. A bit more complext but a better system.

What I did was a bit different from that. Large house bank with independent starter battery that can be brough into or out of the circut (incl house in and out) with completely indpenedent chargers and monitors. This is an overkill for a weekender.

As a weekender, I would just do the simple choice above and did that for a long time. But others are more keen to add an echo charge and a good monitoring device and they are right to suggest it. It is all up to you and your comfort level and buidget.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-24-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Here are some options for your new wiring:

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams [added 9/21/11]

[added 1/31/2012] This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com

If you already have the echo charger, just wire your charger to the house bank and the echo charger will do the other bank. Check your charger manual to assure that full output works if only one output line is connected. Once you make a battery BANK, there is no need to charge each battery individually.