SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   ro water in wet cell batteries (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/88400-ro-water-wet-cell-batteries.html)

captden 06-09-2012 08:29 AM

ro water in wet cell batteries

Having a hard time finding distilled water and was wondering if anybody uses ro water in their batteries?
Thanks
captden

btrayfors 06-09-2012 09:02 AM

Re: ro water in wet cell batteries

There's a recent thread about this somewhere...maybe on CruisersForum.

As I recall, the advice is NOT to use RO water (and certainly not RO water from Tortola).

Some of the larger grocery stores should have distilled water....ask around, and check with the big charter companies...they must use a ton of it.

Bill

hellosailor 06-09-2012 12:07 PM

As I recall that thread mentioned there's a lot of variation in the mineral content of RO water. I've used de-ionized water when distilled wasn't available, and the main point is that there is very low mineral content to upset the battery chemistry.

If your RO water is tested and nearly mineral-free...it beats no water at all, doesn't it?

Long ago I was baffled by mineral readings in water samples, only to find out it just meant the glassware we collected the water in hadn't been rinsed well enough. Trace minerals can come from the "dry" container, as well as the water, so rinse well & often before testing.

Cruisingdad 06-09-2012 12:13 PM

I don't understand this. Theoretically, true RO water should be pretty much pure water. In fact, in some places don't they actually add minerals and stuff back into it to make it taste better (municipalities) and to decrease erosion because it is such pure water it will pull minerals out of the ground?

I don't know, maybe I am wrong. But I guess if you took the RO water then ran it through a 4 stage water filter, that would be some pretty clean water. Maybe that would be the solution??

Brian

hellosailor 06-09-2012 12:48 PM

Theoretically.

A fast poke around the web says RO water could be as low as 30ppm or as high as 500ppm, so there's some variation in the product.

captden 06-09-2012 01:53 PM

I'm talking about ro water from my own on board watermaker. I get a reading of around 280 ppm but I thought that was the amount of salt content not mineral content. Also why would you need to run it through more filters than what is on the watermaker itself. As the other poster said ro water has nothing in it that's why they add minerals to it. I will check and see what the charter companies use here. should be interesting

Cruisingdad 06-09-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captden (Post 882711)
I'm talking about ro water from my own on board watermaker. I get a reading of around 280 ppm but I thought that was the amount of salt content not mineral content. Also why would you need to run it through more filters than what is on the watermaker itself. As the other poster said ro water has nothing in it that's why they add minerals to it. I will check and see what the charter companies use here. should be interesting

I am curious too. Let me know what you hear.

Brian

Stu Jackson 06-09-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captden (Post 882580)
Having a hard time finding distilled water and was wondering if anybody uses ro water in their batteries?
Thanks
captden

Understand that your location limits availability of materials. Have you asked fellow cruisers what they use? In addition to asking here...