Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gtod25
  • 1 Post By Melrna

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012

rackham the red is on a distinguished road
electric vs manual toilets

Hi, I am not sure the electrical section is the place to post the question, but can anyone provide me the pros and cons of replacing my toilets with electric ones?

What is the best brand and why.

Thank you for your help.
Rochelle
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2012

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
electric vs manual toilets

Electric; 1. mixing electricity, saltwater and poo = brilliant idea.
2. You only realize its broken AFTER you have taken a dump.

Manual; still a pain but less so.

Best head: Lavac
arisatx and mitiempo like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-24-2012

Re: electric vs manual toilets

Many thanks point well taken, convenience does not always equal maintenance free.
I guess I will be sticking to manual

Thank you..Rochelle
Old 06-25-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

I have/had both.
Pros:
1. Easy to use even a caveman can use it. When you have guest on board easy to show how to use.
2. Macerates wastes so no blockage from large log laying animals.
3. If unknown blockage from unauthorized object; will usually get stuck at the motor end not the past the joke valve end. Makes fixing easier.
4. Easy to use.
5. If you have a long run from toilet to holding tank the macerated waste will travel better through hoses and not clog said hose.

Cons:
1. Uses precious amps when on the hook.
2. I will disagree with the other poster in that mine and others I know that have one, the electrical motor has never failed. Only thing I have ever done is replaced the joker valve once after 6 years of liveaboard use.
3. If said animal laid down a log that deserves to be in the Guinness Book of Records or a master piece for the Tate Modern Art Museum it will be destroyed. Furthermore, you lose the ability to admired the second time during pump out.
SVAuspicious likes this.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 06-25-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-25-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackham the red View Post
Hi, I am not sure the electrical section is the place to post the question, but can anyone provide me the pros and cons of replacing my toilets with electric ones?
I've had regular manual toilets, a VacuFlush, and an electric. The electric has been far and away the best. I did a rebuild (two o-rings and a joker valve - total time 35 minutes) after six years of liveaboard use.

Power consumption is a red herring. Yes, the draw is high, but the duration is very short. Not a problem.

A spare motor and a couple of extra rebuild kits take up less space then a spare pump and kits for a manual toilet.

I've had two clogs: the first was from a crew (ha!) member who used enough toilet paper to make a good sized rabbit, and the second was when I got cocky and flushed a Chlorox wipe. Both were cleared in less than five minutes with a minimum of unpleasantness.

Even better, without intake and outlet separated only by a seal an electric toilet (not an electric conversion) can safely use fresh water (I have a y-valve to use sea water offshore) which really reduces smells in the head.

As I said I have owned (and serviced, repaired, and unclogged) all sorts of toilets. I won't own anything but electrics in future.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

We have an electrical macerator-pump head in the aft lavatory and a manual pump head in the forward lavatory. Both have performed well during the 10 years we've owned the yacht tho' we're pretty rigorous about routine maintenance. The electrical head is very convenient and preferred by my wife and daughter but it does move a lot of water and tends to fill a holding tank more quickly than does the manual head. I would not have electrical only, just to be on the sale side in the event of electrical problems.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-26-2012

Thank you. Good points. I was already thinking along the line of changing one head at a time before jumping in with both feet. Which brand has the electric/macerator pump all in one?

Again, thank you for your input.
Old 06-26-2012

Hi,
Thanks for the input. Coupled with the other ideas, I think I am leading to one electric and one manual head to cover all the points.

Perhaps later I will convert to all electric and with the solar panels and windvane I just don't see a problem with electric draw.

Many thanks.

Tags
electric toilet , head , toilet