Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Crimpers & Crimp Terminals

So I'm planning-out what and how to begin straightening out Abracadabra's electrical. I've read the many posts by Maine Sail and others on the issues. Here's what I'm wondering/thinking...

Crimpers. I don't know Ancor. I do know Paladin. In fact: I have a Paladin crimper, with changeable dies, which currently has an RG-58/RG-59/RG-8x die set in it. I'm thinking buy one of these two die sets for it:

or...

The top is listed as 22-14 AWG. The bottom as 22-10 AWG. The top looks more like what I've seen recommended for insulated terminals. This brings us to...

The crimp-on terminals. I can't see the expense of heat-shrink terminals. They cost many, many times what regular insulated terminals cost. Many, many as in I've seen 250-part kits for less than the cost of heat-shrink kits with only three or four dozen terminals. Heck, for that kind of cost, I'll buy heat-shrink tubing and add it myself.

Thoughts?

Wire... Where to get a selection of wire suitable for marine applications that won't break the bank, especially being as I don't know just what I'll need?

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Re: Crimpers & Crimp Terminals

Jim,

If the Paladin is decent quality and ratcheting then I think you will be fine with it. I would talk to the manufacturer to see what set of dies they reccommend for insulated terminals. I am thinking it is 2029, but it is best to make sure.

You can get good prices online for wire at genuine deals (or dealz) dot com. Just google them. I also had good luck with pkys.com on prices. One thing I liked about pkys is I could order wire by the foot at full spool prices. I was local, however, so he may not do that for everyone.

The only places I used heat shrink terminals was in locations that will get wet (bilge) or are very hard to get to later. And yes, you can make your own heat shrink terminals. Just make sure you get a good seal on the terminal before you insert the wire so you get the full benefit of the heat shrink.

If you have any questions about wiring the P30, let me know. I rewired my entire boat 4 years ago. Most of it was pretty straight forward.
Old 06-26-2012

Nick, the Paladins are all single-crimp, it turns out. If I'm going with non-shrink insulated terminals, I believe I'm going to want double-crimp. Thanks for the pointers. I'll check them out.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Jim
Old 06-26-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

A double-crimp tool isn't going to buy you anything on regular crimp fittings, is it?

Between the price of adhesive-lined heat shrink--not plain heat shrink--and quality terminals and the time to cut and fit them, you may be surprised. Apples to apples, adhesive lined, the premade fittings may not be more expensive. If the adhesive filling doesn't interest you, that's something else again.
Old 06-26-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Anchor also makes a double action, double crimper. If your going to be doing an extensive electrical refit, and are going to have your boat for a long time, then this is a good investment. 3M Also sells adhesive lined heat shrink for commercial electricians, and is considerably less expensive then the product sold in marine stores.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 06-27-2012

sstuller is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried the Posi-Lock (Posi-Lock(R) - The Best Connectors You'll Ever Use!) no-crimp electrical connectors? They are similar in principle to the Sta-Lok connectors for standing rigging. I'm giving them a try on my boat to see if they are practical. They eliminate the problem of having the right type of crimper. Thanks. Steve S.
Old 06-27-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

Wire: GenuineDealz.com. No affiliation; just a satified customer.
Old 06-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
Jim,

If the Paladin is decent quality and ratcheting then I think you will be fine with it. I would talk to the manufacturer to see what set of dies they reccommend for insulated terminals. I am thinking it is 2029, but it is best to make sure.
I already have a 1300-series frame. It currently has RG-58/-59/-8X dies in it. I can purchase the 2040 die set (single-crimp insulated, 22-10 AWG) for a bit over $25 from Amazon.

Quote:
You can get good prices online for wire at genuine deals (or dealz) dot com.
I've seen many recommendations for them.

Quote:
The only places I used heat shrink terminals was in locations that will get wet (bilge) or are very hard to get to later.
So, after much research and consideration, here's what I'm thinking: The only terminations that are likely to get wet, regularly, if any, are in-line splices. So I'm thinking single-crimp adhesive heat-shrink butt splice connectors and double-crimp ring, or maybe even hook, terminals. In fact, as I posted elsewhere, it just occurred to me the other day that my employer uses billions of double-crimp ring terminals, in a wide range of wire and stud sizes, in manufacturing. The good stuff, too--like T&B and Panduit. I can get them at our cost. Even better: A colleague told me he had a spare double-crimp tool I could have, if it would suit my needs.

Quote:
If you have any questions about wiring the P30, let me know. I rewired my entire boat 4 years ago. Most of it was pretty straight forward.
In fact, I do: How do you get (new) wire/cable between the area of the switch/fuse panel and the mast step? I'd like to put an antenna on the masthead, and some day I'd like to put a wind transducer set up there.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
So, after much research and consideration, here's what I'm thinking: The only terminations that are likely to get wet, regularly, if any, are in-line splices. So I'm thinking single-crimp adhesive heat-shrink butt splice connectors and double-crimp ring, or maybe even hook, terminals. In fact, as I posted elsewhere, it just occurred to me the other day that my employer uses billions of double-crimp ring terminals, in a wide range of wire and stud sizes, in manufacturing. The good stuff, too--like T&B and Panduit. I can get them at our cost. Even better: A colleague told me he had a spare double-crimp tool I could have, if it would suit my needs.
Done and done!

My colleague had work to do today, so he brought in the spare crimper he had and left it on my desk. I went in and picked it up. They've seen use, but they're not ravaged, and they're Sta-Kon/T&B, no less. They'll do . I've ordered the 22-10 ga. single-crimp dies for my Paladin 1300-series frame, now I just need to buy some parts .

I think I'll pick up some of that 3M adhesive-lined heat-shrink tubing aeventyr60 mentioned.

Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions!

Jim
Old 07-10-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys!

I have a quick question about crimping some battery cables.

I bought some 8g wire and ring lugs from Defender (no association, they're the best!); the ring lugs have no insulation and seem to fit nicely in my Panduit (?) crimper where an insulated 'yellow' connector would go. Can I crimp like its 1999 or should I buy/borrow the proper tool?

I can't find one online that says it does 8 AWG non-insulated terminals.

What's the lowest cost solution that won't leave me looking an empty ring lug and a wire in the bilge?

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.