Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-15-2012

windyway is on a distinguished road
Using Windlass Rode Pipe Anyone??

Just wondering if anyone has used a pipe to guide the anchor rode to a deeper part of the hull than where the windlass is mounted. I have a 23 ft sailboat with a bunk taking up room in the "V" berth so I can't have the rode dropping down in the middle of it. The LEWMAR Concept I vertical windlass I have calls for a 5/8" rope & I don't know if it will bunch up being redirected with the use of a pipe. Has anyone attempted this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Using Windlass Rode Pipe Anyone??

Somewhere I read about using a length of PVC pipe that ran down to an anchor locker situated beneath the Vee Berth. The drop was nearly vertical and the diameter of the PVC pipe was about 4 inches. I suspect that there wouldn't be a problem of the bottom edges of the PVC pipe were rounded and polished, thereby preventing the rope from hanging up on the edges when the anchor is deployed. And, the end of the pipe would have to be high enough above the bottom of the anchor locker to prevent the rope from piling up and jamming against the bottom of the pipe.

Is there any reason you cannot use chain? Chain seems to work a lot better under these circumstances.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 07-15-2012

Thanks for your reply Gary, I thought of using chain. That would be my next plan if there is no solution for a rode/chain combo. All chain is noisier and alot heavier than rope. What's the sense of having cake if you can't eat it?
Old 07-16-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

You would be ok if the drop was vertical but I would suspect it would bunch up and jam at other slopes. Chain would be better as its weight would carry it down more. With a chain rode, it tends to pile up in Stalagmites which sometimes need to be toppled to keep from jamming up the works. Therefore, access from the top via a hatch is important so you can reach down and topple the pile. You also need to consider the amount of weight an all chain rode puts up at the bow. With a 23' sailboat, you may be plowing the bow down effecting the sailing characteristics. Check into how much chain you need and how much it would weigh. I suspect you will need at least 150' of chain. What size is required by the windlass and how much would that weigh?

Good to check these questions out before dropping the big $$$ for the unit and being unhappy with the result.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2012

Tod...all good questions. The windlass I have requires 5/16 ACCO G40 chain. I have to figure out how much 150' of chain would weigh. Another option I'm toying with is fabricating a small motor that activates with the windlass up power that is attached on the end of the pipe with a pinch type roller setup that pulls the rope into the locker from the windlass. It kind of gets complicated when the chain shows up though!
Old 07-17-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

How do you presently store your anchor and rode? Do you have an anchor locker? It sounds like the biggest problem with the windlass concept is where do you send the rode. 5/16" chain is fairly big and heavy and I think you will find that an all chain rode is too heavy. But what if you didn't have to worry about sending the rode below? You need the windlass to help pull up the rode. How much chain do you use on your rode now? What I am thinking is that vertical windlesses come with rope capstans that don't require the rope rode to be sent below. You just wind the rope around the drum, press the up button and tail. You can also get an electric self tailing winch to do that job which means you won't need to make a hole in your deck for the chain rode to pass through. Then you simply deal with the rode as you now do. I would mount the unit far enough aft to allow for the chain as much as you can. You will need to do the final lifting of the anchor but a lot of the works been done.

Something to consider.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
How do you presently store your anchor and rode? Do you have an anchor locker?

Something to consider.

Tod
The anchor is stowed on the FWD pulpit, the rode goes down below already but it was a manual effort. There is lots of room below the FWD bunk but I have to follow inside the bow hull line, then pipe it aft about 2ft, therein lies my problem.

Last edited by windyway; 08-13-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2012
Gunga Din

Gunga Din is on a distinguished road
Hi, I have the same problem, with the same windlass in a 27ft boat. I'm using rope only and totally happy. Instead of kgs of chain, I'm using a heavier anchor. I've used in quite strong winds and streams and never moved a cm. But never thought about using a pipe for the rope, wich is problem indeed. I've found an excellent idea. Tks
Old 08-14-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Windy,

I am dealing with a similar solution/problem. I just added 90' of 3/8" high tensile chain to my anchor rode. My boat, an I-28, has an anchor locker at the bow that just holds about 80' of the rode coiled under the carefully coiled chain and a Danforth that just fits, allowing the cover to close. The rest of the rode is coiled, below deck, in the space at the very bow, behind a small bulkhead at V-birth height. No windless yet! No anchor roller either. Both are in the works.

For our cruising the 90' of chain is enough scope almost anywhere. Adding another 100' of rode covers everything an there is another 150' left. I am fine with the chain! The system works out for now.

If an anchor roller is added (I hate the thought of that carbunkle hanging off the bow of this fine looking little boat.) there will be more space for rode and chain in the anchor locker. I would like to have all the rode up in the locker (250') and stow the heavy chain below. 3/8" ht chain is quite compact. I have no experience stowing chain but have experimented with this chain falling down into a 4" rubber marine exhaust hose. This is a flexible (barely) hose. It will follow the curve of the bow and I can extend it as far as there is a need. 90' of that chain doesn't require much space. The hose will fasten onto the flange of several hawse pipe deck fittings. It would have to be easily removable and have a plug in the below deck end with a hose fitting perhaps to drain it? I like the idea of having the chain's weight below the waterline. Having only a coil of rode in the anchor locker will be much simpler.

I understand chain piles up when dropped straight down. My simple land based tests suggest this amount of this size chain slides easily down and over itself in a curved 4" rubber pipe. What do you think?

I will probably install the hose and the hawse pipe next to get the chain below by hand. The hawse pipe will go inside the anchor locker at the very bow.

Down
Old 08-14-2012

Well, Down,
I'm not concerned with having a drain for the 4" pipe cause water will just be pumped out with the bilge pumps, that way they get cycled a few times if needed, otherwise I may never know if they actually work or not. As far as the pipe material, rubber is wayyyy more expensive than a 4" PVC pipe, and the PVC is alot slipperier.
I want a system that works when I single hand. So push a button and the rode stores, period. I'm still working on a design for a small pinching driven roller on the end of the 4" pipe.