Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SEMIJim

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Battery Term fuses vs wired fuses

Those block fuses that use an stud mounting adapter right on the battery are very appealing. I'm wondering if they are OK rather then doing the "within 7" mounting of line fuses. (I'm about ready to install the bluesea ACR on my boat. )

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-19-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Re: Battery Term fuses vs wired fuses

Can't get much closer than right on the battery terminals, Denise I believe Blue Sea designed them for situations where mounting fuses or breakers separately, w/in the seven inch ABYC recommendation, was not practical. I've got two holders and three fuses on-order. If that isn't recommendation enough , Maine Sail uses them

Jim
deniseO30 likes this.
Old 07-19-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jim! I was hoping so! Now I need to guess what size. the wire is #4 so I'm looking at 80 amps or less? None of the wires are over 20 ft, 2 cylinder kubota too. (need to do some amp draw readings soon)

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2012

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough

Denise,

The MRBF (terminal) fuses are one of only three types of fuses that you CAN connect directly to the house battery bank (the others being Type T and ANL).

They have a high enough AIC rating for this use. They are very convenient.

Keep in mind also that they can be neatly connected to a buss bar....sometimes this is desirable for physical layout reasons, or because you have loads connected to the buss bar which need different value fuses.

Bill
Old 07-19-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Thanks Jim! I was hoping so! Now I need to guess what size. the wire is #4 so I'm looking at 80 amps or less? None of the wires are over 20 ft, 2 cylinder kubota too. (need to do some amp draw readings soon)

They are great but do add about 2" in height to the battery and they just won't fit on LOTS of boats. I have been after Blue Sea for a while to put a 90 degree twist in the bar to make them side mount....... I still have to use LOTS of ANL or Class T fuses and just installed an ANL fuse on a bank today ebcause the MRBF was too tall..

The 7" rule is rarely able to be met but so long as that wire between the bank and fuse has no possible way of ever shorting then "as close as possible" is the next best thing. The only draw back to MRBF's are the height and that they only go to 300A, but the amp rating won't affect you.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-19-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
No need to guess..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-20-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
No need to guess..
Well, yeah, ya maybe kinda do. Assuming an older boat, like ours, with existing cables: How is one to know what the "temperature rating of conductor insulation" is for their cables? I used the SWAG method for my installation, assuming that the rating on the existing cables is at least as high as the "economy" Seafit cable I bought to jumper the two negative terminals together. (And I had to dig for even that.) But it was only a guess.

Jim
Old 07-20-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

Well the good news is my new Norcold unit is running off the house bank. Left the boat on the dock with it running want to see how low the bank gets from about 7 last night until about 11 today (7/20)

MS yes .. no need to guess, I do just need to ck the amp draw on the starter.

my current "project"!