Eliminate Some Circuit Breakers? - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-16-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
tibtib is on a distinguished road
Eliminate Some Circuit Breakers?

The DC electrical panel on my boat is a pretty standard setup - there is a "master" circuit breaker (80A), which then feeds individual circuit breakers which double as on/off switches for various equipment.

In order to free up a couple of circuit breakers and also make things easier to use, I was thinking of eliminating the circuit breakers for components that are mounted at the nav station, directly above the circuit breaker panel. Instead, DC from the master CB would feed a fuse block behind the panel and there would be individual fused circuits for the VHF radio, AM/FM radio/stereo, and accessory (cigarette lighter) plug. The fuse block would be about 6" away from the master CB and I would use appropriately sized wiring.

This seems to make sense, because then you could just use the power switches on the VHF and the AM/FM radio without having to flip a circuit breaker on first.

Are there any significant drawbacks (or ABYC standards) that I need to consider before making these changes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 09-16-2012
davidpm's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Madison
Posts: 3,818
Thanks: 206
Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts
Rep Power: 8
davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Eliminate Some Circuit Breakers?

On obvious disadvantage would be that even though you flipped off all the breakers everything would still not be off.

Where are you going to get power anyway? All the way back to the battery or t off the breaker box before the switches. Either way will break ABYC standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 09-16-2012
Maine Sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,539
Thanks: 13
Thanked 149 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Eliminate Some Circuit Breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibtib View Post
The DC electrical panel on my boat is a pretty standard setup - there is a "master" circuit breaker (80A), which then feeds individual circuit breakers which double as on/off switches for various equipment.

In order to free up a couple of circuit breakers and also make things easier to use, I was thinking of eliminating the circuit breakers for components that are mounted at the nav station, directly above the circuit breaker panel. Instead, DC from the master CB would feed a fuse block behind the panel and there would be individual fused circuits for the VHF radio, AM/FM radio/stereo, and accessory (cigarette lighter) plug. The fuse block would be about 6" away from the master CB and I would use appropriately sized wiring.

This seems to make sense, because then you could just use the power switches on the VHF and the AM/FM radio without having to flip a circuit breaker on first.

Are there any significant drawbacks (or ABYC standards) that I need to consider before making these changes?
As long as the feed & neg return wires from the master breaker can handle an 80A ampacity then this should work. Blue Sea makes a couple of nice fuse blocks that will work well.

I did it a little differently on our own boat and used a single 20A breaker which feeds a fuse block behind the nav station. This fuse block has fuses for stereo, iPod, 12V outlets, iPad, GPS plotter, 12V fan etc. etc... One breaker labeled "Nav Station" powers this distribution fuse block.

Personally I wire only the panels DC breakers to the DC Master as there are times I may want to shut off a portion of the vessel but not the whole thing. Say for instance you need to do some wiring at night behind the nav panel and need 12V lights to do so. Your only option is to kill the DC Main which also kills your 12V lights.
__________________
______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.



Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-16-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 09-17-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
tibtib is on a distinguished road
Re: Eliminate Some Circuit Breakers?

I do like the idea of having a "Nav Station" circuit breaker to switch the fuse block. Thanks, Maine Sail!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 09-17-2012
eherlihy's Avatar
Learning the HARD way...
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston / Ft Myers Area
Posts: 3,666
Thanks: 124
Thanked 74 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 8
eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Eliminate Some Circuit Breakers?

I have a single breaker for the "Nav Station," another for "Instruments," and one each for "Port Cabin Lights," and "Starboard Cabin Lights."... Here is a pic:


I am seriously considering taking the Running, Steaming, Anchor and Fordeck light breakers, and putting them on a single breaker labeled Nav Lights, and installing a 4 breaker Blue Sea WeatherDeck sub panel in series with this breaker at the helm;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 09-17-2012
chucklesR's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena Md - Magothy side
Posts: 5,979
Thanks: 10
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 10
chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Eliminate Some Circuit Breakers?

I'm thinking of doing a similar change - switches at the helm where I need them - not 20 feet and a steep ladder away.
__________________
Lessons learned are opportunities earned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 09-17-2012
davidpm's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Madison
Posts: 3,818
Thanks: 206
Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts
Rep Power: 8
davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Eliminate Some Circuit Breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I'm thinking of doing a similar change - switches at the helm where I need them - not 20 feet and a steep ladder away.
Convenient .. but could someone turn something on even if the boat was locked and kill your battery.
Maybe just fooling around.
Maybe put it on the inside of a locked cockpit locker.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-17-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 09-18-2012
mitiempo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 7,284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 79 Times in 70 Posts
Rep Power: 8
mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Eliminate Some Circuit Breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Convenient .. but could someone turn something on even if the boat was locked and kill your battery.
Maybe just fooling around.
Maybe put it on the inside of a locked cockpit locker.
Not if the sub panel is fed by a breaker on the main panel as Maine explained.
davidpm likes this.
__________________
Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 09-19-2012
asdf38's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 724
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 5
asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Eliminate Some Circuit Breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I'm thinking of doing a similar change - switches at the helm where I need them - not 20 feet and a steep ladder away.
Agreed. I'm considering a custom engine panel this year (my Yanmar panel is disintegrating) and wanted to do the same things. The cockpit is a better place for Nav/spreader light control in my oppinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 09-19-2012
asdf38's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 724
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 5
asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Eliminate Some Circuit Breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I have a single breaker for the "Nav Station," another for "Instruments," and one each for "Port Cabin Lights," and "Starboard Cabin Lights."... Here is a pic:


I am seriously considering taking the Running, Steaming, Anchor and Fordeck light breakers, and putting them on a single breaker labeled Nav Lights, and installing a 4 breaker Blue Sea WeatherDeck sub panel in series with this breaker at the helm;
I see a key switch on that panel, is that actually the engine switch on your panel?

I've given some thought to that. I hate having dangling keys in my cockpit, especially where my panel is although it would add more wiring complexity which I'd like to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
circuit breakers mdhinson Electrical Systems 8 04-23-2012 09:22 PM
Circuit Breakers fcsob Morgan 0 05-17-2011 04:04 PM
Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers matt2 Electrical Systems 6 03-02-2009 07:55 PM
The Value of Circuit Breakers and Fuses Chris Brignoli Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 03-24-2003 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:56 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.