SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Blue Sea VSM 422 Experiences? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/92436-blue-sea-vsm-422-experiences.html)

Letrappes 09-25-2012 03:12 PM

Blue Sea VSM 422 Experiences?

I have recently been looking into replacing my diesel tank level monitor with something new as it is decidedly dead. While doing research I came across the Blue Seas Vessel Monitor System 422 that will monitor diesel, water and holding tanks as well as some electrical items.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these as I did a search on here and found nothing. Is this just a system with too many options that doesn't do any one particularly well or is it something that will monitor all the tanks while giving some basic electrical info as well.

Thanks.

Letrappes 09-27-2012 07:48 AM

Since no one commented in two days I'm going to guess this is an unknown product and I should stay away from it.

mitiempo 09-27-2012 10:42 AM

Re: Blue Sea VSM 422 Experiences?

While I have not installed one myself I have talked to a few owners who have the VSM 422 - they give it good marks. Probably the main reasons you see few of them are price and the fact that not everybody wants such a comprehensive product. Most would buy a good battery monitor like the Victron for $149. If you want/need to monitor tank levels as well as battery monitoring I think it is a good choice.

Here is a link to a Panbo review of it. Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Blue Sea VSM 422, economy monitoring

I have found every Blue Seas product I install to be excellent. Blue Seas also has excellent product support if needed.

asdf38 09-30-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letrappes (Post 927122)
Since no one commented in two days I'm going to guess this is an unknown product and I should stay away from it.

As mitiempo said, Blue Sea stuff is excellent. I spent hundreds on Blue Sea stuff for my rewiring job and I'm very happy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of their stuff.

Letrappes 10-01-2012 11:14 AM

Thanks. I'm really looking for three tank monitoring so this might be the product for me.

UnionPacific 06-25-2014 08:35 AM

I am reviving this, I am considering the VSM 422 as well. any first hand experiences yet?

Maine Sail 06-25-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letrappes (Post 927122)

The VSM 22 is a well built product. I am not a huge fan of its battery monitoring capabilities but it does a lot more than that. For tanks they are great and have a LOT of very useful information. Blue Sea builds great stuff and stands behind it.