Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012

fairbank56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Grounding Batteries to Eng. Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
I consider it safe to assume that when someone says ground, especially in a DC system they mean return, or in this case battery (-).
That might be what they are refering to but that's technically incorrect. They are not the same as clearly stated in ABYC rules, "DC grounding systems shall not be used as a return conductor".

Stan Honey seems to be confused as well in the marine grounding systems article. He states "we need a DC ground or return line" as if they are the same thing and then, when defining ground, he goes on to say "never use the mast, engine, or other metal object as part of the return circuit". Why? Because they are ground, not DC return. Two different things.

The boats DC ground system wiring should not normally be conducting current as the DC negative/return/grounded wiring does.

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

Hello to all, The link that I left on post four was merely my way of trying to help someone out. If you click on the link you will notice that goes directly to e-mail. This is a very helpful site when you have difficult questions or simply just need a wiring diagram. I have no intentions of sending business to anyone else or myself. In the future I'll try not to leave any more links to be helpful. CaptG ps. I am in the business of boat delivery, I do this through my reputation for over 45 years, I am not on SailNet to get business I am here for recreational purposes because I really enjoy it here!!!!!!! since I've been on SailNet I've had one offer to deliver a boat from North Carolina the Chesapeake Bay. I did not take that offer........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-29-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Gary Randall View Post
If you click on the link you will notice that goes directly to e-mail. This is a very helpful site when you have difficult questions or simply just need a wiring diagram.

In the future I'll try not to leave any more links to be helpful.
Gary, sending folks links to other email "connections" kinda defeats the purpose of these kinds of forums. It's like suggesting that you have an answer but using email or pms, where the end result is that respondents to the topic never get to see the answers! Think of the unforeseen consequences of trying to be helpful.

Links, on the other hand, are quite helpful if they go to other topics on this or other forums where the answer is actually presented. Many of us use useful links to simply avoid retyping the same answers to the same questions to help different people. An example is Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams.

Like these, for example (I have posted these many, many times):

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6604.0.html

This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowner...d.php?t=137615

Please keep contributing, Gary, but understand how these forums work.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2012

I would like to suggest that your Google the address that I left on my post. I will bet it takes you to some very informative information.

[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!

Old 09-29-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Yes, but it requires two steps, besides avoiding clicking on your offered link which only goes to email: 1) figure out that you really meant to do a www.xxx; 2) type the link into your browser.

THIS would have been a LOT easier: Mobile marine repairs and yacht maintenance in south florida

It's kinda the "etiquette" for providing links that actually GO somewhere useful right away.

I've found, over the years, that even if I post "easy" links, many folks don't read 'em, but at least making it as easy as possible helps others.
Capt. Gary Randall likes this.
Old 09-29-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Gary Randall View Post
Hello to all, The link that I left on post four was merely my way of trying to help someone out. If you click on the link you will notice that goes directly to e-mail. This is a very helpful site when you have difficult questions or simply just need a wiring diagram. I have no intentions of sending business to anyone else or myself. In the future I'll try not to leave any more links to be helpful. CaptG ps. I am in the business of boat delivery, I do this through my reputation for over 45 years, I am not on SailNet to get business I am here for recreational purposes because I really enjoy it here!!!!!!! since I've been on SailNet I've had one offer to deliver a boat from North Carolina the Chesapeake Bay. I did not take that offer........
It never occurred to me that you were doing anything but trying to help me, and I sincerely appreciate that. However, I agree with Stu in #13, that the value of these forums is that everyone shares ideas and information. If I had something of a personal nature, or that might not be of interest to the Forum, I would have emailed you (though I still wouldn't know how to phrase the question any other way). The "link" in post 4 is a email address, not a link to a website. Enough with the flaming emoticon, you have nothing to be angry about!
Old 09-29-2012

i'm not angry, I can't figure out how to get rid of it,is on all my posts recently.there was plenty of emotions going on earlier when I got rid of them the fireman came....... I guess I need to stay on Google whenever I post on SailNet whenever I use my other browser weird things happen including on chat turning into a really long story was one word on every sentence???? not trying to steal your threat or change it, lesson learned don't change browsers....