Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-28-2012

SVTatia is on a distinguished road
Alternator Output Wire

In the DC wiring diagrams, I see the mention of Alternator Output wire, but I cannot find this wire on my engine.
In the Westerbeke wiring schematic the AO goes to the starter, so I assume the alternator output wire is connected to the starter solenoid and the heavy starter wire is the one that I connect to the battery for starting and charging? Or, do I need to have a separate cable from the Alternator to the battery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Alternator Output Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
In the DC wiring diagrams, I see the mention of Alternator Output wire, but I cannot find this wire on my engine.
In the Westerbeke wiring schematic the AO goes to the starter, so I assume the alternator output wire is connected to the starter solenoid and the heavy starter wire is the one that I connect to the battery for starting and charging? Or, do I need to have a separate cable from the Alternator to the battery?
That is the path to the batteries on many "factory wired" engines. A dedicated wire direct to the house bank is preferred by many. One benefit is that it eliminates the possibility of frying the diodes by turning the batt switch off with the motor running. On the drawback side a fuse now has to be added close to the battery bank and a "service switch" or other means of easy disconnect should be available so you don't get zapped with the battery switch off and the alt still "powered"..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-28-2012

Thank you Maine Sail. My plan is to make the Battery Switch a use switch as per your recommendation on “1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings” post – to quote you:
“To make your 1/BOTH/2/OFF a "USE SWITCH" simply:

1- Make your house bank #1, or "primary"
2- Make the start/reserve battery #2 or "back up/secondary"
3- Install an Automatic Combining Relay (VSR) or an Echo Charger to charge bank #2.
4- (Bonus Option) Feed alternator output directly to the house bank.”

What I am trying to accomplish is to wire the alternator/starter directly to the battery, bypassing the switch - making the house bank the engine starting battery and make the charging “always on” with a VSR to the reserve battery.
Since my alternator output and starter share the same cable, can I route this cable that is now starter/alternator directly to the house bank to comply with your item 4 above?
Else I would have to find a way to wire a separate alternator output wire to the battery.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2012

fairbank56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What I am trying to accomplish is to wire the alternator/starter directly to the battery, bypassing the switch
While a battery disconnect switch is only an ABYC requirement for batteries with a CCA greater than 800 amps, I strongly suggest NOT bypassing the switch and connecting your battery directly to the starter. A potentially huge safety issue in my opinion.

Eric
Old 09-28-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
While a battery disconnect switch is only an ABYC requirement for batteries with a CCA greater than 800 amps, I strongly suggest NOT bypassing the switch and connecting your battery directly to the starter. A potentially huge safety issue in my opinion.

Eric

I suspect he only meant running the alt direct to the batt bank but typed starter... I agree 150% that a starter battery should ALWAYS have a switch. Never understood why less than 800CCA would not burn your boat down or was any safer than 801CCA...? Course I also fuse most starter circuits too especially on small AUX engines.

This happened with FAR LESS than 800CCA and with no fuse and no switch there was no way to stop the electrical fire....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-28-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Tatia, here's the WHY of how the boats were wired with one wire from the 1-2-B switch C post to the alternator and starter. When you route your AO to the house bank, you need to use a NEW wire, and disconnect the small wire between the starter and alternator.

OEM 1-2-B Switch Wiring History Alternator/Batteries & "The Basic" 1-2-B Switch BEST Wiring Diagrams

It was also discussed in Maine Sail's article.
Old 09-28-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you Maine Sail. My plan is to make the Battery Switch a use switch as per your recommendation on “1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings” post – to quote you:
“To make your 1/BOTH/2/OFF a "USE SWITCH" simply:

1- Make your house bank #1, or "primary"
2- Make the start/reserve battery #2 or "back up/secondary"
3- Install an Automatic Combining Relay (VSR) or an Echo Charger to charge bank #2.
4- (Bonus Option) Feed alternator output directly to the house bank.”

What I am trying to accomplish is to wire the alternator/starter directly to the battery, bypassing the switch - making the house bank the engine starting battery and make the charging “always on” with a VSR to the reserve battery.
Since my alternator output and starter share the same cable, can I route this cable that is now starter/alternator directly to the house bank to comply with your item 4 above?
Else I would have to find a way to wire a separate alternator output wire to the battery.
Thanks
It's a great setup, I moved to this configuration this season. I used the blue sea ACR (Relay). If I did it over I'd use an echo charger simply because the echo limits current and can be wired to the start/reserve bank with smaller wire - wrestling battery cabling around is a huge pain.

On the other hand the battery switch provides connections to both banks in one place already so if the relay is mounted in that area its leads can be small. Also the Blue-Sea ACR has an indicator LED output which tells me when it (and the alternator) are working properly. I don't know if the echo has this nice output.
Old 09-28-2012

Maine Sail, Fairbank56, Stu Jackson, asdf38

Many thanks for your responses – you have removed the doubts and I am now clearer about how to do this. Thanks for the link Stu.
Great education - you guys rock!
Old 06-04-2013

Re: Alternator Output Wire - what size?

I had to revive this post because I am now actually doing this.

The alternator output post a #8 screw where the 10awg wire is connected with a ring and routed to the starter - a very short run.
When I wire this to the battery, the distance is about 12 feet, and I was planning to use 4awg cable.
I am not sure how I will attach a lug or ring to this 4# cable to connect to the much smaller #8 bolt on the alternator. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Lugs for 4 awg are available with holes as small as a #10.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.