Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Re: AGM Battery Upgrade and Charger

Paulo,

I'm still learning, too :-)

Reaching a full charge monthly would probably be OK, particularly as we're coming on to winter and cool temperatures.

In hot temperatures, it would be better to do it more frequently.

AGMs have a low self-discharge rate (I think Mastervolt claims about 3% per month) so can be left without charging current far longer than flooded batteries, but they DO need to be fully charged at reasonably short intervals.

In really cold weather they will self-discharge much less than in hot weather.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

When on the hard, I have t-handles that fully disconnect the various battery banks, so there wouldn't be even a parasitic load. Both my Gels and AGMs will stay nearly at full charge for well over a month, and then lose very little. I usually plug in about every 6 weeks over the winter and top off and would be very comfortable going 2 months, if necessary.

My AGM genset start batt wasn't charged at all last winter. I thought I was going to swap it out as it was acting up. In the spring, I found a corroded connection. I put it back, charged it up and it was fine all season. It froze on the boat and wasn't charged for 5 months. Although, it was probably at full charge when disconnected last Fall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-01-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys.

That´s what I thought. I had said already to the guy on the shipyard that he doesn't need to charge the batteries every week, as he had propose to me, but that I would prefer a longer charging each month, but it is good to be sure

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-02-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

David,

Do not depend on your alternator running for 20 minutes to be anywhere near sufficient to charge you batteries. Even a 100 amp Electramaxx alternator at 70 degress will put only 80 amps per hour running our engine at normal cruising rpm ( 2700 ). So if it runs at that for 20 minutes I can only expect to put 27 amps back into the bank.

It is important to fingure out what you battery diet is for a day. On Haleakula chartplotter ( 3 amp/ hr), refrigeration 4 amp/ hr, lights (LED -1 amp/ hr, VHF 2 amps in standby ( 5 in transmition), radar 3 amps and other instruments. . Right there is 10-15 amps per hour and that doesnt include pumps etc. For a 6 hour sail thats conservatively 60 amps. Thats what registers on my Victron on an average when underway. At rest in anchorage usage is closer to 4-6 amps). Our diet per day we have calculated and measured is between 80 and 100 amps.

We fall into that categopry of being able to charge our 6- 6 volt ADM Lifeline house bank up to capacity of 720 ah because we usually only are out weekends and have a 40 amp Mastervolt 3 step charger at the dock. In addition our 100 samp alternater barley meets the requirements of the 20% of house bank rule. Alternators differ also in how much they generate in terms of amps vs the rpms of the engine. One reason we chose the electromaxx was its efficiency at lower rpms. Solar panels are in our future to help us when we cruiser for weeks at a time.

As Maine/ Btrays have mentioned AGM are not a choice for everyone and your whole system should be designed around them ( charging alternator, solar, shore power) to insure you can keep them as full as possible to increase their life.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-04-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
David,
Are you on the Magothy side of SP, or the Severn side?

I'm on the Magothy, right at the #2 / #16 and #MR triangle (where the river splits to Cockley, Old Man and Magothy river)
I'm on the Severn Side - north Round Bay.
Old 10-04-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

So far this is what I have ... pretty low draw I think:

Endless Breeze 12v Fan 3.0
LED interior lights 0.5
Nav LED running lights forward 0.5
Stereo 1.0
Raymarine x-70 Autopilot 5.0
Garmin navigation GPSMAP 500series 1.0
Cockpit VHF Standby 1.0
Depthmeter 1.0
Speedometer 1.0

Total so far - 14.0 ah
Old 10-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

No fridge?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-04-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

Nope. Just the original icebox circa 1979.
Old 10-05-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
So far this is what I have ... pretty low draw I think:

Endless Breeze 12v Fan 3.0
LED interior lights 0.5
Nav LED running lights forward 0.5
Stereo 1.0
Raymarine x-70 Autopilot 5.0
Garmin navigation GPSMAP 500series 1.0
Cockpit VHF Standby 1.0
Depthmeter 1.0
Speedometer 1.0

Total so far - 14.0 ah

Now you have to figure how many hours a day you run each of those.
You don't have anchor light listed, do you not anchor out?
Old 10-05-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Something not mentioned, I could be slightly off on the numbers. IIRC AGM and maybe gels lose 3% per month of power when not in use, where as lead will be 6%. Gels may be 6% too. For those on a mooring with out solar or other ways of keeping the batteries topped off when not in use, this too could be a reason to go with the AGM vs lead cell.

My 20amp truecharge IIRC has a place for AGM, GEL and flooded batteries. As Gel's take the least charge input vs lead with agm able to take the most.

With an older motor as the OP has, it would not surprise me if the alternator will need an upgrade. As mine from the mid 80's with a 20hp yanmar, a size 31 agm could take as much as 80-100% of its out put to charge it. So I stuck with a Lead cell. I was looking at a $500 alternator to upgrade etc too to go with at east one or two size 31's in my boat any how. I just went from a 24 to a 31. Gained enough for how I use my boat.

At the end, not sure there is a true right or wrong, only that you have the correct charging system for the type/style of battery and how big the pack is. This does take some number crunching.

marty

Tags
agm , batteries , battery , charger , truecharge

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.