Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: HO Alternator & Serpentine Pulley Kit Install

Sorry guys I should have written that portion more clearly. The size them to never move "down" in flow and keep the "up" within manufacturers spec. The engine manufacturers are consulted on the allowed overage. More flow is better then too little yet the goal is to size for no more than a 2-3% difference in "more" flow...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Dang it. I had MMR read this article.

Now I've got to add a 180amp HO from Electromaxx to my budget.

The good news is I was already looking at a 100 amp from Balmar - and the cost is actually not that much more for JUST the alt, the pulley kit adds a couple hundred but don't break the bank all things considered.

MS, you wanna install it this weekend in your copious off time?
Just kidding, boat not at the pier yet.
Old 10-08-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Very nice machining, and sadly this is the kind of job any local machine shop used to be able to do. I'd be somewhat concerned about letting the new pulleys go a year without anodizing. We had a custom pulley made up some years ago and because of time constraints, just ran it bare. Literally found oxides on it within ONE WEEK on the mooring. I'm guessing Electromaxx has chosen an alloy specially for the purpose, rather than "What do you have that's about a half inch thick?"

I'd only disagree with calling that a serpentine belt. AFAIK that's just a RIBBED belt and it doesn't change to "serpentine" until the belt winds in and out, and requires a tensioning wheel to make it stay put. If simple tension will hold it--that's just a ribbed belt.

I'd be curious to hear what some belt makers had to say about the pros and cons of using more smaller ribs, as the Jason belt does, instead of larger ribs like common automotive belts. More machining on the pulleys, or more expensive knives to cut the pulleys? Versus thicker wider belts that would cost more to make, but might last longer? I get the feeling there are some unobvious engineering tradeoffs there and can't help wonder. But hey, wtf, if you need a belt in some odd spot like Beaufort or Pitcairn Island...you know what they used to say about Landrover? Doesn't matter where you are, in town or in the bush, it will still take one week to express a part to you. Good idea to carry multiple spares.

Something I have to wonder about, is that alternator bodies are never fluted. In theory, if you're going to bother with your own castings, you could flute the whole body in order to get a huge increase in heat shedding, which should translate into a huge gain in alternator output as it heats up.

Looks like a nice setup though.
Old 10-11-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Something I have to wonder about, is that alternator bodies are never fluted. In theory, if you're going to bother with your own castings, you could flute the whole body in order to get a huge increase in heat shedding, which should translate into a huge gain in alternator output as it heats up.

Looks like a nice setup though.
I have to guess because:

#1 The alts are built to fit "existing" locations which may be very tight. I have some that literally clear by 1-2 mm's...

#2 They are, no matter how "custom" they claim they are, built on existing "industry" case sizes & offsets. While companies like Balmar and E-Maax do cast their own cases the case is basically a replica of Delco 130D, 10DN, 10SI, 12SI, Motorolla, J-200 etc. etc...

There are some new technologies coming that will drastically boost the capability of a small case alt but it is still a year or two out..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-11-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

And here I thought the last "new" technology in small motors/gensets was the rare earth magnets used in the old lunar rover, that kickstarted the whole cordless drill business.

So you figure the existing cases are too thin, too critical, for someone to run 'em by the machine shop and flute them? Or to have have someone in China knock off a fluted version? I know, every installation is tight but an awful lot of 'em have enough room to go another 5-10mm fatter. I'm suspecting "no one wants anything except cheap" applies, and the exceptions to that are the folks who're quite wiling to just buy a big Balmar.
Old 10-12-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I stopped by the booth at the Naptown boat show - the 160 and 180 amp set ups do have a floating tension 'thingy' depending on the engine model you are installing it on.

That's the end of my technical know how.

BTW, I did not get offered a discount for mentioning your name MS