SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Going Solar

883 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Squidd 
#1 ·
Well winter is here (yes there is snow on the ground outside my window) and pondering the upgrades for next season on the boat...

One option I'd like to add is solar recharging of battery bank during the week whilst on shore..

I have a PY26, outboard motor, sits on a trailer during the week, launch for weekend trips (anchoring out) low power budget, no fridge, no AC, no power or heated water etc...Mostly just instruments, lights, chartplotter and Lap Top...and I'd like to add a Tiller pilot for solo days...

Right now I have 2 old gr24 battery with a 2 amp charger/maintainer that I plug in 24/5 days during the week ...Usually makes it the whole weekend, little low on sunday trip back, but I haven't started using the AP yet...

I will upgrade to matched pair of wall-mart deep cycles next spring, and was thinking an 80 or 100 watt panel with regulator to charge during week and maybe leave on shore when I go out...(~20 amp/day refill)

Herein lies the question...I read hard panels are more efficient than flex panels (2008 info/are they better now?) so Being a small boat I would leave the hard panel on shore when I go out, but a flex panel I might be able to make room for on the boat (so may get mid trip boost)

I know budget, budget, budget, but I'm just starting to add accessories, so I don't quite have a "starting point" to compare with..

So I'm hopeing to get a "probably work" approval on the 80 watt flex/regulator/2 x deep cycle for my approx usage...??

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.